Ford Mustang - Rear Bumper Issue

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
MustyAT
Name: Tom
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Ford Mustang - Rear Bumper Issue

Postby MustyAT » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi
I am a Mustang 5.0 Cabriolet owner and I love my car. However, it has a problem that I think looks awful.
It appears that the rear bumper is dropping down away from the rearside and rear panels - this leaves a horrible gap that has got much bigger than when I picked up the car new in July 2016.
The Ford bodyshop have informed that the bumper brackets are the same brackets used on the Fiesta so they are not strong enough to take the weight of the Mustang bumper.
At this point, I should point out that I am a Solicitor and am just in the early process of instigating legal proceedings under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
I am rejecting the car and seeking the return of my monies less a deduction for the use of the car I have had. It is this deduction which will be the sticking point I believe.
Has anyone else noticed the issue or done anything about it?

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Re: Ford Mustang - Rear Bumper Issue

Postby slowhand99 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Well it was nice of them to already confirm the vehicle was not constructed properly or fit for purpose. No similar probs on mine. the only similar problem I've seen on a Mustang was one that got a light shunt from behind. Looked fine at the time but the brackets were damaged.

Go get 'em.

MustyAT

Postby MustyAT » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Every single Mustang I have seen and checked (about 11) have the same issue. You can for 2 one pound coins in the gap now!

GT101
Name: David Jones
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby GT101 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:35 am

I'd be very surprised if the Mustang shares many parts with Fiesta. Mustang being built in the US and Fiesta in Europe. Also Mustang is a very high volume build car in the US so any issue that was a design issue would have to be addressed (the US are not shy about litigation as I'm sure you know). We have seen lots of 2015+ Mustangs in our shop and I can't recall seeing this problem - do you have a picture? It sounds more like a build problem than anything to me.

The brackets at the side of the rear bumper are fixed to the body, the bumper cover clips into these. There's no movement in anything if it's clipped together correctly. We've fitted diffusers and fascias on to rear bumpers which add quite a bit more weight with no issue.

MustyAT

Postby MustyAT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks for your response. I have to confess that I know very little about build or technical issues when it comes to cars. But it was Ford's bodyshop (that is the bodyshop of the actual dealer that sold me the car) that took back bumper off and then said it had the same brackets as those on a Fiesta. And I assume they must have seen both brackets in their day to day work. And they informed me that they noticed it on one they had in a week or so before after the car suffered front end prang. The bodyshop asked if they had also been hit in the rear due to this bumper issue on this car as well.

MustyAT

Postby MustyAT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:45 am

I will post picture soon. Thanks.

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 am

Probably wants pushing back and the bolts tightening

It ain’t a Bentley it’s a ford and this stuff happens. Hence why there are warranties. Don’t go back to the ford garage that said about fiestas. Guy may try to sell you a skyhook or tartan paint

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 am

Untill it was brought to my attention I never noticed a problem, on mine the the gap is fractionally wider on the right than the left. Overall the build quality id good with even panel gaps even if not very tight.

Tim

MustyAT

Postby MustyAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Tim

How old is your car?

Mine is getting worse since July 2016.

How do you post pictures on here?

Well - the claim is now with Evans Halshaws solicitors - Geldards so will see what happens.

I see from this thread that some people are happy to accept low quality "because its a Ford" or because "its a Mustang". Thankfully, the law does not use the same reasoning! I love my Mustang (and Mustangs in general) but not enough to accept low quality and low workmanship. I hope that the need or love for any material goods does not ever lower my standards or expectations.

Im just disappointed how its been handled as well. When I initially raised this with Evans Halshaw they told me panel alignment issues were only covered for 12 months by the warranty. I then asked the service manager where it stated this in the warranty booklet - he could not find it! It then tuned out that this 12 month restriction on the normal 3 years is NOT in the warranty the consumer gets but in an INTERNAL document for Evans Halshaw only. So I started wondering how many people had been turned away based on this unenforceable 12 month restriction or who had paid to have the issues looked at and fixed (if possible). We now have 16 people with claims thus far. Not all Mustangs - but 16 people that have been refused a repair based on this 12 month restriction that only Evans Halshaw know about! Trading Standards have also been contacted.

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am

My car was delivered June 2016. I dont think my Mustang is poor quality, what else can you get with similar performance or price? Of course a Bentley is built better than a Mustang but it should be for the price difference. A failing part should be acknowledged by the dealer & fixed. It makes no difference if the bumper is sagging on a Dacia, Mustang or Bentley all should be sorted. I wonder if there was a bad batch of brackets.

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 pm

MustyAT wrote:Hi Tim

How old is your car?

Mine is getting worse since July 2016.

How do you post pictures on here?

Well - the claim is now with Evans Halshaws solicitors - Geldards so will see what happens.

I see from this thread that some people are happy to accept low quality "because its a Ford" or because "its a Mustang". Thankfully, the law does not use the same reasoning! I love my Mustang (and Mustangs in general) but not enough to accept low quality and low workmanship. I hope that the need or love for any material goods does not ever lower my standards or expectations.

Im just disappointed how its been handled as well. When I initially raised this with Evans Halshaw they told me panel alignment issues were only covered for 12 months by the warranty. I then asked the service manager where it stated this in the warranty booklet - he could not find it! It then tuned out that this 12 month restriction on the normal 3 years is NOT in the warranty the consumer gets but in an INTERNAL document for Evans Halshaw only. So I started wondering how many people had been turned away based on this unenforceable 12 month restriction or who had paid to have the issues looked at and fixed (if possible). We now have 16 people with claims thus far. Not all Mustangs - but 16 people that have been refused a repair based on this 12 month restriction that only Evans Halshaw know about! Trading Standards have also been contacted.

no we are not - it is just a fact of science thermally formed plastic will move and the car is not built to milimetre precision like my other cars. If it was the case I would be on to Carter and Ruck straight away.....so frankly wind your neck in.... it is a ford, made by minimum wage workers, sold for not a lot in the US as a mass market car but over priced in the UK as a prestige brand , built with plastic fisher price would reject..... so can i suggest give it a punch it will go back and all we be good. if it happens again punch it again and all will be good.

MustyAT

Postby MustyAT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 am

Cati

Thanks for your intellectually rigorous and enlightening post. Should it not have started "Yes we are"?

Return to “Technical”