The Grand Tour Episode 6

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
badboybubby
Name: Mark
Year Of Mustang: 2016

The Grand Tour Episode 6

Postby badboybubby » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Just watched the 3 amigos on Amazon, episode 6 is the best yet featuring Mustang GT and Focus RS also Ford GT 40s at Le Mans get the 30 free trial and watch it but don't forget to cancel before trial ends
best one yet :cow

JohnnyRevPants
Name: David
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Re: The Grand Tour Episode 6

Postby JohnnyRevPants » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:36 pm

It doesn't have to try too hard to be the best one yet. Am I the only one thinking it's forced, scripted and too ridiculous to be enjoyable?

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:34 pm

You're not alone. It's dreadful.

When they came back, everyone was saying "The boys have still got it!" And they have. They've still got the same old joke. And it's just not funny anymore.

All that cash behind them and the opportunity to start again with something new and exciting and spectacular - and they're just phoning it in... Three amigos? Three twats more like.

I'll watch Roadkill instead.

antijam
Name: Nick James

Postby antijam » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:02 am

It comes across as if the old Top Gear has had a load of money thrown at it (£200 Million apparently), been given the gloss of american production values and then dumbed down to avoid the widest possible demographic having to strain a brain cell.

It's not as if TG was ever exactly highbrow, but with all the loony stunts - amphibious cars, the 'Hammerhead Eagle i-thrust' electric vehicle, the 'Hovervan' etc.etc. - there was always a part of you that wanted to see just how far they got before it all went pear-shaped. The track and road tests of exotic automobilia had enough in them to turn us into pub bores on cars we had never driven and were certainly never likely to own.

The Grand Tour stunts are merely farce; from the outset we know it's just a bunch of old blokes farting about. There's no logical - or even illogical - outcome or conclusion to be reached. The 'environmentally friendly' cars in episode 4 were simply ridiculous, and what mind thought that weighing cars against animals last week was 'entertaining'? And am I the only one completely missing the point of 'dead' celebrities?

The three guys are perpetually in hyper mode (presumably to justify their salaries to their american employers) but the whole show lacks any measure of the mild understatement and the 'Heath Robinson' props that characterised Top Gear (at least until the unfortunate 're-born' series)

The whole thing comes across as a desperate attempt to not be Top Gear while actually being a Top Gear clone with more gloss and less entertainment. Perhaps in the next series the producers will have a rethink and tone down the slapstick and show a bit more creativity.

sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby sfallon36 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:38 pm

I like it, I don't mind the scripting, I quite like the deliberate fingers up to PC nonsense.

I thought this episode was very good, especially the peice on the GT40 and Le Mans and the Mustang had a favourable showing too.

If you don't like it, that's okay as well, Im not a fanboy and won't judge you. I'd suggest not watching any more though, because I don't think it's going to change.

DavePrice
Name: David price

Postby DavePrice » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:50 pm

The great thing with a tv is you can always change channels :) so you don't have to watch... I think if you didn't like TG then you ain't gonna like GT. 2nd episode was cack and the last one was obvs sponsored by Ford but as I like em then that's fine. Love the banter (yes it's scripted but hey ho) looking forward to the Xmas specials!

Ant379
Name: Anthony

Postby Ant379 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 am

I'd hate to admit it but yes, it is slap stick and I didn't want to admit that but no one wants to see dune buggies or cars made of crap, they want to see cars that are actually available to buy and exist. I will still watch every episode and just hope it gets better.

Having said that, and agreeing with the above posts, I would rather watch GT over TG. There just isn't any charisma in TG anymore. I like Matt LeBlanc in Friends but he is as flat as a can coke opened a week ago in TG. His laughs are fake but I suppose working with Chris Evans, it would be. I like Chris Harris and as for the other guy (Rory) who reviewed the Mustang, I may be biased but the review was half cut as though he couldn't be arsed to review it.

A

JohnnyRevPants
Name: David
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby JohnnyRevPants » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Ant379 wrote:I'd hate to admit it but yes, it is slap stick and I didn't want to admit that but no one wants to see dune buggies or cars made of crap, they want to see cars that are actually available to buy and exist. I will still watch every episode and just hope it gets better.

Having said that, and agreeing with the above posts, I would rather watch GT over TG. There just isn't any charisma in TG anymore. I like Matt LeBlanc in Friends but he is as flat as a can coke opened a week ago in TG. His laughs are fake but I suppose working with Chris Evans, it would be. I like Chris Harris and as for the other guy (Rory) who reviewed the Mustang, I may be biased but the review was half cut as though he couldn't be arsed to review it.

A

Firstly Rory is a bellend who knows sod all about cars. Chris Harris is a respected Moto Journo. Watch the dynamics between Rory and Harris - especially in the BBC3 Extra Gear episode to that, Harris rips him a fresh one. And Rory has no come back because he can't say to Harris 'what do you know?' :mrgreen:

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I have now seen GT episode 6, 7 & 8 with 6 being the Mustang episode. Interesting and I think they did ok, but maybe didn't do it justice for fans/owners like us.
However it was a lot better - they were more relaxed and it was less forced. The 7&8 special had ridiculous moments in it, but was a lot better than anything they had done before up until then.

jainser
Name: Pete
Year Of Mustang: 2008

Postby jainser » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:59 pm

The LeMans piece was very good.

On that note the book 'Go like Hell' is an excellent read, one of the best books I've have read!!!

I understand they are making a movie about it as well

Ant379
Name: Anthony

Postby Ant379 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 am

I wish they'd get rid of that fcukin' American :hang :axe

Return to “General Discussion”