Sync 3 in Europe

Latest info on the ever evolving Mustang brand. Got a scoop? Post it here.
Forum rules
jomoailearca
Name: JohnOMaoilearca
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Sync 3 in Europe

Postby jomoailearca » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:42 am

According to AutoExpress today...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/edge/ ... ge-in-2016

'....SYNC 3 is already available on some models in the US, but it's expected to debut on this year's Edge SUV in the UK after its launch in the summer.'

In that case, surely we should see it on UK/European Mustangs with build dates from this Summer onwards? The delay was supposed to concern software compatibility in Europe, but they could at least install the (different spec) screens now so that they are Sync 3 'ready' when the upgrade is approved over here.

IMO.

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: Sync 3 in Europe

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 am

jomoailearca wrote:According to AutoExpress today...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/edge/ ... ge-in-2016

'....SYNC 3 is already available on some models in the US, but it's expected to debut on this year's Edge SUV in the UK after its launch in the summer.'

In that case, surely we should see it on UK/European Mustangs with build dates from this Summer onwards? The delay was supposed to concern software compatibility in Europe, but they could at least install the (different spec) screens now so that they are Sync 3 'ready' when the upgrade is approved over here.

IMO.

More likely for ours on the early 2017 batch of builds, than anything in the 2016 one, might be lucky and sneak some in very late 2016 builds, but the RHD's (TO MY KNOWLEDGE) have build dates scheduled from dec-feb, and may-jun, with 2015 having a 'one-off' build schedule from july-Sept and then an issue with V8s causing another batch to go through in nov-dec. (fords original plans were to run 2 productions throughout the year for the UK mustangs, this may have changed).

If sync is infact coming and being piloted (according to this auto-journo) in the edge SUV in '2016' then the mustang 'will follow' not start it, judging by wait times etc, we wont see it till 2017 :roll:. Wonder if dealers will offer a FOC change up :axe

*Think i also got back to you on m6g about it :oops:

Twin Turbo
Site Admin
Name: Paul - Admin
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Postby Twin Turbo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:31 pm

From what I understand, you'd need a new head-unit (I'm guessing all the gubbins is behind the 8" screen), so you can't upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3.....at least, not without a lot of ball-ache. I wouldn't like to guess if late-build cars will have Sync 2 or 3 though :?

And Sync 3 is worth having for the fact that will be compatible with Apple Carplay

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/04/ford ... roid-auto/

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:From what I understand, you'd need a new head-unit (I'm guessing all the gubbins is behind the 8" screen), so you can't upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3.....at least, not without a lot of ball-ache. I wouldn't like to guess if late-build cars will have Sync 2 or 3 though :?

And Sync 3 is worth having for the fact that will be compatible with Apple Carplay

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/04/ford ... roid-auto/

I'm anti-apple, so i care not for apple-car play, and to be quite honest, i'd rather not have my work phone synced to my car, it's for destressing me :lol: :lol:

Yep, i'm aware everything behind the screen would need fixing and it's not a straight update, I meant (Sarcastically) that they should give us sync 3 upgrade FOC (Including fitting) :cow

Bedford Muscle
Name: Amarjit

Postby Bedford Muscle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Well...surprising you mention sync 3....

I contacted ford (via the e-mail address) re status of my order. Stacey replied 'With regards to your vehicle, your vehicle has been built and has been checked in US docks.'!!! Obviously i was pretty darn chuffed. :rock

So, with the VIN she provided jumped on the tinterweb to look at the window sticker...which had a completely different spec (e.g. guard metallic & auto). :?:
She replied a few mins later, saying she gave me the wrong details (i got someone elses vin).

Anyway, the spec included Sync 3.
(bottom right stated 'EXPORT ONLY UK')

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Bedford Muscle wrote:Well...surprising you mention sync 3....

I contacted ford (via the e-mail address) re status of my order. Stacey replied 'With regards to your vehicle, your vehicle has been built and has been checked in US docks.'!!! Obviously i was pretty darn chuffed. :rock

So, with the VIN she provided jumped on the tinterweb to look at the window sticker...which had a completely different spec (e.g. guard metallic & auto). :?:
She replied a few mins later, saying she gave me the wrong details (i got someone elses vin).

Anyway, the spec included Sync 3.
(bottom right stated 'EXPORT ONLY UK')

No Sync 3, sorry matey :(, I'm the same!

vmeldlew
Name: Lewis Blackburn

Postby vmeldlew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Apologies to revive and old thread but this should be relevant here.

I'm new to the forum and have a 2016 (66) 2.3 and have been trying to get Apple carplay working.
I'm running Sync 3 V2.0

I've done some research and found out I needed a different USB module for under the armrest, which I ordered and it finally turned up today.
However, upon fitting I noticed the part number on the new one is the same as the one I have fitted! The box however says different.

Research shows I needed a HU5Z-19A387-A so I orderd from here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HU5Z19A387A- ... 2749.l2649 on the 16th Jan!
Its turned up today in the right box, but the model has HU5T-14F014-AB on it. The same as what's already in the car. I did fit it to see if it worked but no joy.

Before I go complaining to the seller, does anyone know if this is right or if I've been fobbed the wrong part here?

The other thing is, Will carplay even work without the Sync 3 V2.2 update? As I'm running V2.0 at the moment and It wont update any further.

Lots of questions to begin with there so any help or knowledge would be much appreciated !

inectarios
Name: Nektarios

Postby inectarios » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:26 pm

vmeldlew wrote:Apologies to revive and old thread but this should be relevant here.

I'm new to the forum and have a 2016 (66) 2.3 and have been trying to get Apple carplay working.
I'm running Sync 3 V2.0

I've done some research and found out I needed a different USB module for under the armrest, which I ordered and it finally turned up today.
However, upon fitting I noticed the part number on the new one is the same as the one I have fitted! The box however says different.

Research shows I needed a HU5Z-19A387-A so I orderd from here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HU5Z19A387A- ... 2749.l2649 on the 16th Jan!
Its turned up today in the right box, but the model has HU5T-14F014-AB on it. The same as what's already in the car. I did fit it to see if it worked but no joy.

Before I go complaining to the seller, does anyone know if this is right or if I've been fobbed the wrong part here?

The other thing is, Will carplay even work without the Sync 3 V2.2 update? As I'm running V2.0 at the moment and It wont update any further.

Lots of questions to begin with there so any help or knowledge would be much appreciated !

Hello Lewis,

The fact that the part number you expected is different than the one you received should raise suspicion although I've had cases where a certain part had multiple (correct) numbers. Unfortunately I can't look it up on my own car as mine is a 65 plate and hence has the Sync 2 on it. I have been seriously considering doing an upgrade to Sync 3 (with CarPlay) via these guys though: https://www.infotainment.com/collection ... -3-upgrade

They do have the EU/UK version as well (and offer lifetime upgrade support with it apparently) so they must know the correct part number you need. When I spoke to them they were super friendly (typical American customer service) and didn't seem bothered at all I wasn't ready to pull the trigger just yet. So I have a feeling that if you ask they'd be happy to give you the correct part number (and possibly sell you one as well).

My suspicion is however that you would also need as latest firmware version as you can get. Is there a reason you can't upgrade to the latest? It'd be ridiculous (and dare I say unlikely) for Ford to lock-down a Sync module to not accept future updates.

Alternatively, you can place a part request with these guys:

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/partsrequest.htm

I've used them many times before and they've never disappointed. If you fill in the form they will reply back within a day or so over email. Give them the correct part number and they should be able to source one for you even if they don't have it in stock.

Good luck!

Nektarios

vmeldlew

Postby vmeldlew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Cheers for the advice

I spoke to the place I got the part from and they advised it was the correct one after checking my VIN, the part number is just the next version/revision of the part. So it's the right one apparently. I did find the same info online relating to a guy who had got the same for his Focus RS, so it seems to check out.

I'm not sure about 2K just to get apple carplay! But it's interesting they can do the upgrade.

Like you say, I think the Firmware might be the key here. From what I can find online on various topics the Sync 3 V2.0 software is the latest that is available in the UK unless it comes with a new vehicle. In the US there was a V2.2 V3.0, V2.2 and a V2.3 (released in that order) The 2.2 and 3.0 versions first came unofficially as the downloads were found on the ford site. However due to bugs in the system they were pulled.
After this a V2.2 stable release was made available to download from the ford owners website and then later a V2.3

Unfortunately for european users it seems although the system supports updating from a USB drive, we can't download the files from anywhere. Talk seems to suggest there are still bugs in the European versions of the software so Ford have pulled the update. Possibly why I can't update it over WiFi either. Other talk suggests they pulled it in the EU so Ford can charge for the update procedure.
Lots of information, however none of this has been confirmed by ford so really, were all none the wiser right now.

I've contact the Dealer I got the car from so hopefully they can shed some light on the situation and get it upgraded for me.

One last thing, The chap on ebay who ran my VIN says my model is a 2017? But the car is on a 66 Plate and was registered in november 2016. When I've checked the VIN online myself, it does come back saying its a 2017 model so I'm not sure what's going on with that!

Anyway, I'll report back when the dealers contact me and update with what they say.
Thanks

inectarios
Name: Nektarios

Postby inectarios » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Any update on this Lewis?

vmeldlew

Postby vmeldlew » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi

Yes, so maybe my absense here was due to a little embarasment. I tried both my old iphone 6s Plus and my new IphoneX and neither worked. But after trying a colleages Iphone 7 and it worked instantly I knew something wasnt right.

Looking through the setting on my phone, I found something called restriction, and for some reason CarPlay was set to off !
I presume it must have followed through from the transfer of the other phone as I didn't know this menu existed on the iphone, let alone that I had ever turned it on!

Bristol Street Ford didn't get back to me, but I didnt bother to chase them up seems I sorted it.

Anyway, the embarasment comes mainly because I work in IT :lol:

So I have a spare HU5Z-19A387-A Module. If anyone has a 2014 or 2015 Mustang that came with the older version of ford sync where CarPlay doesnt work, then it might be of use to you. I'll hang onto it for the time being incase it helps anyone out on here.

Return to “News”