Weirder the better
Forum rules
badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: Learning to Fly

Postby badhand » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:59 am

Seriously, fly to Goodwood and pick me and cati up. Take us for a ride, we're not scared.

We're both death proof. :D

mattmoxon
Name: Matthew Moxon
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Postby mattmoxon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:44 am

badhand wrote:Seriously, fly to Goodwood and pick me and cati up. Take us for a ride, we're not scared.

We're both death proof. :D

Once I have done the conversion onto the bigger four seater (Cessna 172) I intend to fly down to Goodwood at some point for a Mustang meeting. Once day I may be able to do it in a different kind of Mustang (if I win the Euro Millions that is).

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

mattmoxon wrote:I intend to fly down to Goodwood at some point for a Mustang meeting.

MFUK wings and wheels day! :)

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby cati » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:57 pm

I am trying to talk one of my old friends to fly down from Blackpool, perhaps we can have a dog fight.....Daka Daka Daka

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

cati wrote:I am trying to talk one of my old friends to fly down from Blackpool, perhaps we can have a dog fight.....Daka Daka Daka

I'll see if I can borrow a P-51 :lol:

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Flying Lesson 43: PPL(A) Skills Test. 17th of April 2016
D-Day for me, thankfully without the FLAK, the flight lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes and I performed four landings. The paperwork took longer than the flight, including the pre-flight briefing, weight and balance calculations and the post flight paperwork.

The weather was the best it could have been today, crystal clear, almost flat calm. Given what it had been the day before, low cloud, rain, blustery wind it was amazing to be honest.

I’m not going to go through all the specifics, if you want to know about a specific manoeuvre there are lots of blog posts describing them all :)

The question and answer section of the test provided me with no problems.

The navigation section of the test couldn’t have gone any better, I managed to maintain the target altitude within 50ft most of the way, the odd thermal bump causing a slightly larger variances but nothing that made Roy my examiner unhappy. I was only one minute late to the destination, but I put that down to starting the route leg with 500ft still to climb.

Unplanned diversions didn’t cause me any issues, neither did the radio navigation section where I had to track a VOR beacon and of course describe how I would use the same beacons to get a radio navigation fix.

The upper air work provided me with no problems; I could have lowered the nose a little more during incipient stall recovery other than that no comments. Climbing, descending, climbing and descending turns, again no problems. I received no comments on my observation skills so I assume they were all fine too, the airborne emergency procedure Q&A went well too.

The ATIS and tower informed us that runway two zero was operational, and Roy instructed me to join via the overhead. He wanted me to perform a PFL from directly overhead the airfield. Sounds like it might be a bit easier than a real forced landing, only because it’s a runway I can assure you.

The wind provided me with an interesting situation; it was varying from the south west to north-west most of the morning and on my circuits (we have a mile and a half of runway to play with) gave me a crosswind, with a slight tailwind element, not something I have encountered before as you generally go for a headwind landing (reduces the ground speed for starters).

The first circuit was a glide approach, touch and go (part of the PFL) and the landing was a little heavy, safe but uncomfortable, and that set the tone for my landings which where my only serious criticism. As Roy said, you were caught off guard by the slight tail wind element. I did four circuits, Glide, short field, flapless and normal approach. The obligatory practice engine failure after takeoff and finishing with an aborted takeoff, the flight as a whole went well.

I was disappointed at myself with the heavy arrivals; they are unusual for me as I have generally judged the flare out pretty well in the past. Something to work on, I think my first few solo PPL flights will involve a couple of circuits to finish off.

So it wasn’t all plain sailing but I have reached the end of the PPL(A) course, that doesn’t mean that I will stop learning. Flying an airplane is a learning experience each and every time you take off. I will be maintaining this blog for a while yet with my first forays into the world of aviation as a pilot in command rather than a pilot under training/supervision.

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Today I made my first flight post PPL

https://mattspplblog.com/

I'll just link the blog from now on. It will allow those of you that are (still) interested to keep following it :)

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Another post PPL flight today, no pictures sadly as I was on my own and as you can imagine had more important things to do than snap photos:

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Another post PPL flight today (well friday last), A few photos on the ground but none from the air:

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Another flight done yesterday:

Photos from the air and the ground in this one.

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Another blog post, this time with more photos.

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Another couple of blog posts, the first my first training flight in G-BAIW, the Humber Flying Clubs Cessna 172 and the second back in P-J (I-W is away for her annual inspection) for a quick sight seeing flight:

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:10 pm

My second training flight in G-BAIW is on my blog now, and the blog its self has a new look about it.

The weather has been giving me a beating recently, lots of cancelled flights due to the weather not playing ball. I have cancelled on the same passenger four times so far and canned five cross country flights because of it. I don't remember last year being like this :x

Return to “Off topic”