Auto transmition..

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
Forum rules
alex.lai
Name: alex
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Auto transmition..

Postby alex.lai » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:43 am

Hi everyone. Can't find an open topic on this..

I recently got a 2005 4.6v8 auto. Works absolubly fine in d but when I go through the gears 1,2&3 on over run there is a whine coming from the transmition. It's only done 33k and I highly doubt the fluids have ever been done for the auto box. My questions are what fluid goes in the the box, how much fluid and is there a filter to replace?

Thanks everyone!!

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Re: Auto transmition..

Postby cati » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I seem to remember They are sealed for life but not totally sure as don’t normally go near spaz boxes . You can too up worth googling on stangnet etc

James7
Year Of Mustang: 2007

Postby James7 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 am

A lot of auto boxes are meant to be sealed for life but thats to make the servicing costs look better :o

Well worth changing fluid and filters if they are fitted. I have owned a few autos over the yeaes and always change the fluid on a regular basis. Often noticing a difference in the gearchanges etc.
Only thing to make sure is if there are filters, gaskets and getting the correct oil as there are a few different types.

mattmoxon
Name: Matthew Moxon

Postby mattmoxon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm

They are sealed for life, I enquired at a dealership in the US and the response was 150,000 mile overhaul intervals!

Vincent
Name: Vincent
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby Vincent » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 pm

I have a 2005 auto and the fluid has to be changed every 30 000 miles (it's in the user manual) , and also the filter inside the pan .

The only thing is that you fill it by the drain plug and the level is checked engine on .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SKnuSPn6QQ

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 am

Vincent wrote:I have a 2005 auto and the fluid has to be changed every 30 000 miles (it's in the user manual) , and also the filter inside the pan .

The only thing is that you fill it by the drain plug and the level is checked engine on .

Be wary, the service manual for the Mustang (in mine at least) has two parts, the first part which is for trucks and vans, specifies the fluid change at 30,000 miles. The first part of the book is often incorrectly stamped by service centres in Europe as cars over here seem to have a generic book for stamps only rather than specifying the actions that need doing. If you flick through to the back of it you will find the service schedule section for cars which is different and specifies which gearboxes need oil changes at which interval. The 150,000 mile service section in the cars part of the book specifies that the Mustangs box should be overhauled, it’s not mentioned before this.

I say this from a late 2006 GT owners point of view, they might have changed it after the first year or so. You can change the pan fluid and the filter (the filter is just a metal grate with a bit of sponge in it designed to catch lumps of gears etc.) as you have shown above, mine now has 106,000 miles on it and the transmission has remained untouched, it still shifts just as nicely as it did when I bought it.

"Sealed for life" is also a bit of a misnomer and should probably be explained to people better, it means sealed for the life of the transmission not the car, the transmission has a 'life' of 150,000 miles.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Nicely explained Matt.

Gonna miss you if you ever sell the Moxmobile. Can't believe it's still for sale. Both TT and I have touted it on a couple of forums on your behalf...

Vincent
Name: Vincent
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby Vincent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

:rock thanks !!! :pidu

mattmoxon

Postby mattmoxon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm

badhand wrote:Nicely explained Matt.

Gonna miss you if you ever sell the Moxmobile. Can't believe it's still for sale. Both TT and I have touted it on a couple of forums on your behalf...

It will go eventually, I'm getting immensely frustrated with it not selling. Thanks, I just hope it gets a bite.

I'll still pop in from time to time :)

Vincent wrote::rock thanks !!! :pidu

No problem.

James7
Year Of Mustang: 2007

Postby James7 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 pm

mattmoxon wrote:
Vincent wrote:I have a 2005 auto and the fluid has to be changed every 30 000 miles (it's in the user manual) , and also the filter inside the pan .

Be wary, the service manual for the Mustang (in mine at least) has two parts, the first part which is for trucks and vans, specifies the fluid change at 30,000 miles. The first part of the book is often incorrectly stamped by service centres in Europe as cars over here seem to have a generic book for stamps only rather than specifying the actions that need doing. If you flick through to the back of it you will find the service schedule section for cars which is different and specifies which gearboxes need oil changes at which interval. The 150,000 mile service section in the cars part of the book specifies that the Mustangs box should be overhauled, it’s not mentioned before this.

I say this from a late 2006 GT owners point of view, they might have changed it after the first year or so. You can change the pan fluid and the filter (the filter is just a metal grate with a bit of sponge in it designed to catch lumps of gears etc.) as you have shown above, mine now has 106,000 miles on it and the transmission has remained untouched, it still shifts just as nicely as it did when I bought it.

"Sealed for life" is also a bit of a misnomer and should probably be explained to people better, it means sealed for the life of the transmission not the car, the transmission has a 'life' of 150,000 miles.

The problem is that all this talk of sealed boxes makes people not have them serviced as they dont understand how it works.
The oil will still degrade and parts will still wear out. This can be prevented by maintenance however, which will extend the life of the components significantly.
Yours may be fine but you could pretty much guarantee that it would enjoy a nicer longer life if it was shown a little love.
If you are happy to buy a new one when it breaks sooner than it otherwise might do then thats up to you, but personally i think a little maintenance goes a long way, and works out cheaper in the long run.

Spanner Monkey
Name: Billy Belfont
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby Spanner Monkey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm

The auto trans in the early S197's is NOT sealed for life. It was always meant to be serviced, though Ford didn't make it easy for the home mechanic.

There is a special piece of equipment that Ford dealers have to replace the fluid, though it's not that difficult to replace it without the tools (ask Badhand).

If the trans is making a whistling/whining noise then it would be worthwhile to drop the pan and check the filter. If the oil and filter look clean look for cracks in the flex-plate.

Whine on over-run could also be Diff related, so worth checking the oil in the axle before you get too engrossed in the gearbox. I've noticed that although the rear axle oil level is a service item, not many are regularly checked.

Return to “Technical”