S550 Feeling Sluggish

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
Forum rules
D8DML
Name: Danny MacLennan
Year Of Mustang: 2016

S550 Feeling Sluggish

Postby D8DML » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi folks,

I noticed over the weekend that my S550 GT was feeling really sluggish. At a steady speed and revs I could feel the engine faltering, almost like millisecond drops in power. Just turned 10k miles and less than 12 months old and consuming a lot of oil, but other than that no other noticeable symptoms. However, I did get the a service due light on the dash (engine shape) coming on intermittently last week. Not on today though.

Any thoughts? (the oil consumption seems to be a puzzle for the dealer, with their master tech referring back to Ford again this week)

Cheers!

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: S550 Feeling Sluggish

Postby badhand » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Limp home sluggish or just vaguely noticeably sluggish?

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby cati » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm

You have not got grandad mode turned on have you? there snow mode and valet mode as well as normal, sports and track?

when you say lots of oil do you mean service life or you need to put in regular oil top ups? it might have bugger a ring or something not right - i would ask for a compression test that will confirm it is rings or valves.

Need a bit more info to guide you though

D8DML
Name: Danny MacLennan

Postby D8DML » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for response guys.

Its not a limp home scenario, but its more than vaguely noticeable. At a constant speed and revs, its like millisecond applications of the brake, or indeed like the snow/wet mode is being activated then deactivated for a second. When I say its more than vaguely noticeable, a passenger I had in the car could feel it last night.

Regarding the oil, probably unrelated? In the first 5000 miles the car appeared to consume its entire load of oil (7litres) although it may have been the case that it was low to start with. In the next 5000 miles it has used enough to take it down to the minimum on the dipstick. As I mentioned, it seems to have foxed my local dealer.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers, D

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:32 pm

The s550 ECU is a learning ECU.

If you drive around a lot like a grannie, or long labourious runs. the Keep Alive Memory (KAM - Imagine this like RAM in a PC that stays after u turn the car off) will remember the throttle positions etc etc etc. and just learn to be more like that style of driving.

There's two solutions. Go for a lot of honing around, or, get something like an sctx4 or cobb ap and reset the KAM. I reset mine every so often and always after a long cruise.

It could also be down to revs etc. The car pulls harder over 4k. as we can't tell if your situation is a fair test and you were driving the same, we wont know. but give it a few pulls in 3rd and sit above 4k rpm for a drive should fix it ;)!

As for your oil... err.... is it leaking?!

Return to “Technical”