Auto dimming mirror does not dim enough?

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
Wibble
Name: Jim
Year Of Mustang: None

Auto dimming mirror does not dim enough?

Postby Wibble » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I recently bought a MY17 GT and it has an auto dimming central mirror. When driving at night, it dims automatically, at the same time making headlights of following vehicles look a bit green. The problem is it doesn't dim enough, and night driving becomes quite wearing due to dazzle from other cars. Anybody else had this?

I am looking for some window film to put on the mirror, or something. However, not sure what unwanted effect that might have in daylight though.

The wing mirrors also seem to be a source of dazzle more so than in my last car. What might be the cause I can't imagine.

Jim.

Wibble
Name: Jim
Year Of Mustang: None

Re: Auto dimming mirror does not dim enough?

Postby Wibble » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:17 pm

After a bit of light Googling, it seems that many people, i all kinds of cars, have a problem with auto dimming mirrors. General consensus seems to be: they never dim enough or at the right time, and are best avoided.

I put black insulating tape over the front sensor. Now the mirrir switches to maximum dim as soon as the ignition is turned on, at all light levels. At night, it is still a bit too bright, but useable. The sensor is on the back of the mirror, on the far side from the driver - you can feel it as an indentation.

Also I ordered some window tinting film and tried putting it on the mirror, but that did not end well. Not recommended. It goes on all crinkly and blurred, then leaves glue on the mirror when you take it off.

Return to “Technical”