Engine break in?

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
Tailserg
Name: Taylor Gray
Year Of Mustang: None

Engine break in?

Postby Tailserg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi everyone, just joined today and pick up my new Mustang GT next month!
Just wondering if there is a period of time/mileage that I should break the engine in? I've read differing opinions, some say go easier for the 1st 300 miles and others who say engines nowadays don't need to be run in. Any thoughts? I've always bought 2nd hand cars and this will be my 1st new one!

IanLondon
Name: Ian
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: Engine break in?

Postby IanLondon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi there and welcome

Had my GT for nearly three weeks and completed 400 miles.

The handbook with the car said be very careful for the first 100 miles to scrub the tyres off - others on the Forum will advise changing the tyres that come with the car but that for me is in the future. And for the first 200 miles be gentle with the brakes to allow them to bed in - feel free to undertake an emergency stop if I cross your path though!! And finally the handbook says to generally take it easy, or similar phrase, for the first 1,000 miles.

There are different views on an oil change at 1,000 miles. Ford say not but others on the Forum say it is a must do.

And some posts say don't bother to run the engine in anyway since it is tested in the factory to max revs and the drivers moving them at various shipping / transit points will probably not be over cautious.

All that said mine is being treated gently to start with progressively increased engine use as 1,000 miles are covered.

Enjoy and do what you are comfortable with.

Ian

Tailserg
Name: Taylor Gray
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby Tailserg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for the advice. I think for the first 1000 miles I'll be a bit more cautious and I'm with you on the tyres, I'll stick to the ones that it comes with unless I'm really not happy with them. Just got to wait until I get the car now!

Smogz
Name: Smogz
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Smogz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm

For the first 100 miles don't use full throttle.
For the first 1000 it's preferable to try and vary load and revs to prevent glazing of the cylinders. Don't go daft with the loud peddle but don't tickle it either mate.
Keep an eye on the oil consumption for the first 500 miles. The Coyote can use half a litre or so during early miles till everything is bedded in.
Tyres are the same as any other, they'll be slippy till the release compound has worn off and they've scrubbed in. Doesn't take long at all.

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 pm

As has been said follow the handbook recommendations. Any new tyres need break in, for the first 50 miles its best to keep below 50mph. I belive there is a compound in new tyres which inhibits age deterioration but its only released with use. Maybe best to run your spare for 50 miles.

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Postby slowhand99 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 pm

TimG wrote:As has been said follow the handbook recommendations. Any new tyres need break in, for the first 50 miles its best to keep below 50mph. I belive there is a compound in new tyres which inhibits age deterioration but its only released with use. Maybe best to run your spare for 50 miles.

No spare :?

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:03 am

Slowhand you can buy a spare wheel for the EB but not V8 presumably because of different sizes & rear would not fit the well. You may have another car with one!

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Postby slowhand99 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 am

TimG wrote:Slowhand you can buy a spare wheel for the EB but not V8 presumably because of different sizes & rear would not fit the well. You may have another car with one!

I did buy a spare. I was just pointing out that the car doesn't come with one. :)

Return to “Technical”