Fitted Front Sensors?

Be as specific as possible, include as much information as possible and be patient for advice. Someone will be along soon with the answer...
jomoailearca
Name: JohnOMaoilearca
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Fitted Front Sensors?

Postby jomoailearca » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:57 pm

If anyone has already had Ford's own-brand front parking sensors fitted, I'd really appreciate seeing some pics - especially of the interior switch (and also hearing how it's been working out for owners). Is it a good idea?

John

Twin Turbo
Site Admin
Name: Paul - Admin
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Re: Fitted Front Sensors?

Postby Twin Turbo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:13 am

I see you've not had a massive response on M6G to this query, either. Seems the Brits haven't been too keen on going for an "after market" solution and, to be honest, I don't blame them as they seldom seem to be as good as factory fitted jobbies.

Despite the car being excellent value already, I do believe this is something that should be standard on a £35k car these days.

Without wishing to teach you to such eggs, you may find it easier to reverse into parking spaces. This is something I learned in my early days of driving when I had my Capris......in those dark ages the parking sensor hadn't even been dreamed of :lol:

jomoailearca
Name: JohnOMaoilearca
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby jomoailearca » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:I see you've not had a massive response on M6G to this query, either. Seems the Brits haven't been too keen on going for an "after market" solution and, to be honest, I don't blame them as they seldom seem to be as good as factory fitted jobbies.

Despite the car being excellent value already, I do believe this is something that should be standard on a £35k car these days.

Without wishing to teach you to such eggs, you may find it easier to reverse into parking spaces. This is something I learned in my early days of driving when I had my Capris......in those dark ages the parking sensor hadn't even been dreamed of :lol:

'Reversing in' is not a problem. But sometimes (in cramped spaces - or what can become more cramped when one returns to the car!) one needs to do 3 (or more) point turns to get back out again. And sensors forward and back would really help with this. Hopefully, I'll get a reply with pix eventually - I have heard some on the Euro section of M6G say they are good and necessary

tstevens
Name: Tony
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Postby tstevens » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:51 pm

My Grandad had the Ford ones fitted to his new Focus as he insisted he needed them. The factory rears are good, and include a diagram on the dash with distance etc and work seamlessly with the car.

The fronts however had a switch on the side of the centre console that needed to be manually switched on (for obvious reasons), these had no way to tie in with the in car system, so you just got audible beeps without any other feedback. They weren't even noticeable on the front of the car, so hopefully pictures will help you.

For me they felt too aftermarket, especially with the switch being hidden away.

GREAT WHITE
Name: Allan
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby GREAT WHITE » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm interested to know about this too because I would want FPS adding to my car when I eventually get it.

I had the FPS's put on my Fiesta and they put a black button switch down on the inside console adjacent to your left leg. Prefereably it would be better if they were factory fitted like I had on my BMW 530I but I don't think they would fit them even if you asked.

Not got that far yet anyway so I'll watch out for feedback on this thread. Thanks.

Wibble
Name: Jim
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby Wibble » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 am

Sorry about the necropost. I have the front parking sensors fitted to my MY17 GT. Have picture but don't know how to upload images to this site.

I can't recommend the sensors unfortunately. When you start the engine in the morniing, it starts beeping if you are anywhere near a wall, although you can press the button to stop it. As you drive off, whether you pressed the button or not, the sensor is deactivated, so that when you get to work and are parking, just when the sensor would be useful, it is off and remains silent however close you get to an object in front. Then, when you leave work hours later, start the engine... it immediately starts beeping again. In other words, it does pretty much the opposite of what would be useful.

I might have it diconnected if I can be bothered. Oh and the front sensors aren't a great paint match with the bumper and the paint scratches off with a fingernail, as I discovered while washing the car last week. And the internal button is cheap and feels like it came from Maplin for 30p, and is somewhat loose. And the system is not integrated into the computer in any way. So, not a great product. 2 out of 10.

By contrast, the reversing camera is great.

Return to “Technical”