Go Faster Stripes

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
Ant379
Name: Anthony
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Go Faster Stripes

Postby Ant379 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am

Hi, All

Last week, I spotted the 2018 Mustang in a Ford showroom. Excited to see it, me and the fiancé took a detour.

I really love the Orange Fury colour and that colour wasn't even on my original list of colours to choose from. Also, there was a Lightening Blue colour as well. The blue car had black racing stripes that I have really considered to having this time around. However, I have to say, I was really disappointed in the quality of them.

The stripes looked like they where really thick (in depth) to a point that grime and dirt would build up on the edges of the stickers.

It's the first time I have seen stripes close up to a point where I have touched them. Is this the normal thickness or are Ford just slapping on crap quality decals.

I expected the thickness of the decals to be micro thin - almost like the airfix model thin. Am I being naive.

Ant

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: Go Faster Stripes

Postby badhand » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:52 am

Kind of... They are vinyl and are literally slapped on. They are not necessarily crap though, as even best adhesive vinyl, made by 3M, still has a visible thickness.

Best way to do stripes is to paint anyway...

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks, Badhand

I am sure they do the job and I doubt very much Ford would have reduced the quality of stripes from previous models. I was just shocked at how much they stood out.

I would probably decide against it now having seen them. I doubt painted stripes is the way forward either because if I got bored, I may want to take them off.

Still, having said the above, they do look the dogs bollocks from a spectating perspective - for me.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm

I blow hot and cold with stripes. Depends on the colour combo for me. Had 'em on my Torch Red '05 but removed them from my Windveil blue '07.

Won't be adding to my '69...

Bedford Muscle
Name: Amarjit

Postby Bedford Muscle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Ant379 wrote:Thanks, Badhand

I am sure they do the job and I doubt very much Ford would have reduced the quality of stripes from previous models. I was just shocked at how much they stood out.

I would probably decide against it now having seen them. I doubt painted stripes is the way forward either because if I got bored, I may want to take them off.

Still, having said the above, they do look the dogs bollocks from a spectating perspective - for me.

Agree with you, re deciding to take off.

Painted on does look good, but would prefer to change the look of the car by changing the design of the stripes. There's more than enough designs on the interweb and it'll look like a 'new' car every couple of years for a few hundred quid ;)

James7
Year Of Mustang: 2007

Postby James7 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 am

Some vinyl is a bit thinner than others.
It might be worth asking at a place that does wrapping for a sample as some of the wraps i have seen are thinner. Also vinyl does come in different grades so maybe ford use a longer life one which mihht be thicker.

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks, All.

Looking at it, I may get an after market job done in terms of the stripes if I decide to go with them.

My current Mustang had a G-Techniq Crystal Serum applied to it which may be the reason I don't have any swirls on my car from washing. I would imaging this needs to be applied before any stripes anyway.

Ant

Paddy
Name: Paddy
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby Paddy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Firstly let me say my business makes graphics and stripes etc for racing cars and road cars alike.

My other sports car is a famous British classic car and I make most of the graphics for most club members.

This is not a sales pitch, I make next to nothing from the other clubs members and it’s a pain in the arse, but after 8 years it’s hard to say no. I have no intention to make the same mistake again.

Vinyl is available in a number of colours and qualities, some are carp and some are really good, but all of my cars are black and all have silver centre stripes and all are painted not vinyl.

Obviously after market wise vinyl is much cheaper and the good news is they can be easily removed and replaced but avoid cheap options as they may be printed white vinyl which will always have a white edge, also avoid believing quality statements based on years. A major manufacturer recently released a new 30 vinyl, but they only started the in the vinyl market 12 years ago?..

If you do go down the aftermarket vinyl route then the simple truth is any local sign maker can cut the vinyl for you, but make sure it’s coloured vinyl not printed white vinyl.

largelunchbox
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby largelunchbox » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Ant379 wrote:Hi, All

Last week, I spotted the 2018 Mustang in a Ford showroom. Excited to see it, me and the fiancé took a detour.

I really love the Orange Fury colour and that colour wasn't even on my original list of colours to choose from. Also, there was a Lightening Blue colour as well. The blue car had black racing stripes that I have really considered to having this time around. However, I have to say, I was really disappointed in the quality of them.

The stripes looked like they where really thick (in depth) to a point that grime and dirt would build up on the edges of the stickers.

It's the first time I have seen stripes close up to a point where I have touched them. Is this the normal thickness or are Ford just slapping on crap quality decals.

I expected the thickness of the decals to be micro thin - almost like the airfix model thin. Am I being naive.

Ant

You could clear coat over the stripes

Return to “General Discussion”