What else can go wrong?

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
blahblahdave
Name: David
Year Of Mustang: 2009

What else can go wrong?

Postby blahblahdave » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 am

Hey all.

With Mr. badhand bemoaning the quietness of the forums recently ;) , I thought I'd "entertain" you with the last few weeks of dealing with my S197.

As I do all my work on the drive, winter is not the best time for tinkering with cars, so it's only the last few weeks I've been getting stuff I needed to do with the girl done. She's only been on short drives since November so I decided to take her on her first long drive in March. This was, of course, not without issues.

The drive from London to Bristol (and back) resulted in "limp mode" making an appearance a few times from a cold start. Thankfully I got full throttle with a quick off/on but set out to replace the Throttle Position Sensor asap. What started as a 5 minute job became a almost weeklong one thanks to one TPS screw refusing to come off the Throttle Body. I tried everything and eventually called it a day and bought a new Throttle Body. All good in the end though.

Then it was time to start the work I'd been planning for about three months. I started by rewiring up the front indicators and side lights which were being held together by tape. The design of the "turn light sockets" is ridiculous. Once you put the bulb holder in, good luck getting it back out without breaking the clips! Thankfully they still hold tight without the clips.

I then finally installed the TCI Street Fighter Ratchet Shifter I was having problems with back in November. Turns out the plastic clips that hold the shifter cable in place needed changing. That's it... A great little addition that really gives you a classic muscle car feel!

This was then followed by replacing the front bumper cover (which was damaged). An easy job, seeing as the old one was off already, but not without issues. For some reason there is a hell of a gap under the headlights. That'll teach me to buy a cheap one off eBay! But it will have to do until I can afford to get an OEM one from somewhere. New front fender liners went in as well whilst I had the wheels off, but the trim clips I had weren't the right size (more stuff to buy).

Then the icing on the cake of things going wrong. Last year I got given a Screamin' Demon Ignition Coil Pack, Taylor StreeThunder Spark Plug Wire Sets and some new spark plugs to go with it. I was going to wait to install these but, seeing as they were sitting in a box and the weather has been nice, I decided to get this done. All in all a very easy job, until putting spark plug 3 in. They all popped out, and 1,2,4,5 & 6 went in without any struggle. However, three does not want to go in fully. It's looking like the thread has part worn and is causing the plug to get stuck. With a Thread Chaser looking like its not going to work it may be time to call in the pros...

I purchased her knowing three things. She had low mileage, the colour was what I wanted and stuff would need doing (or I could find stuff to do).

Now I must admit, with all the stuff that keeps going wrong, plus I have my wedding and (seven week) honeymoon in the summer, I am really starting to feel fed up and and want to throw in the towel and sell her on... :|

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: What else can go wrong?

Postby badhand » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 am

That sucks. Sounds like you just got unlucky somewhere on every job.

And those shit jobs that aren't inspiring in the first place. Still, at least the shiny new ratchet shifter works now. :D

blahblahdave
Name: David
Year Of Mustang: 2009

Postby blahblahdave » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 pm

:lol:

I decided to give the Thread Chaser another go this morning. Took it nice and slow, using a spanner instead of a ratchet to turn it, and I'm pleased to say it worked a treat! Spark Plug number 3 is in and the all new ignition is a dream! :rock

Now I don't want to touch anything on it ever again! :D

Here's a pic of the of the nicely installed shifter and the headlight/bumper gap just to spice things up a bit from the wall of text.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:01 am

That is nice!

And that is nasty! :o

Return to “General Discussion”