Update to Sync 3 and Maps

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
KeithEdinburgh
Name: Keith Warden
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Update to Sync 3 and Maps

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm

My Mustang is in for its first service next week. Can anyone confirm that this will include an update to both Sync 3 and the maps. Mine was built in Flat Rock in November 2016 so there ought to be updates since then. I have hooked up my car via the wifi but it won't update as it just keeps searching for updates, presumably to the US server which I understand won't work for European models. My dealer went through the service items covered over the phone but this checklist didn't cover any software, which she suggested I emphasised to the service guys when I drop it off.

Harley103
Name: Alex
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Re: Update to Sync 3 and Maps

Postby Harley103 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Your car either comes with Sync 2 or Sync 3, it cannot be updated from 2 to 3. There is physically different computer hardware between Sync 2 & 3. I have no idea if anyone has ever managed to refit their car from one to the other but I imagine it would be very technical and costly

KeithEdinburgh

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm not talking about an upgrade. I have Sync 3 already, but presumably it gets updated like all software, as do the maps, but you can't do it via the car's wifi or usb, so I'm assuming the dealer does it but can't find any references online to the actual procedure.

KeithEdinburgh

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:00 pm

I checked the Ford UK website today and found a link to owner resources which I don't remember being there before, but maybe I missed it. You enter the VIN number and it comes back with the latest update of Sync 3 and (it says) maps but I'm not sure. You download the 2.6gig file and copy it to a USB drive, plug it into the port on your Mustang and Sync 3 takes over and should do the rest. There's a PDF guide to take you through this. This must be quite recent as I know Europe has been waiting for updates.

HOWEVER - there is no way I'm plugging the USB in at home as goodness knows what might happen - particularly with the maps, so I'll take the USB with me to the service tomorrow and get them to do it. You then have to go back to the website to confirm that it's been done so that next time you check it tells you that you've got the latest version. It seems you update the info from your USB - pretty daunting.

Here's hoping

KeithEdinburgh

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm

My dealer won't do an update as the responsibility currently lies with the owner to do it, hence the link to the page instructing how to do it. I think they are probably right so I'm certainly not going to have a pop at them.

The Sync 3 update came out mid-February 2018, hence me not having seen it before. There is a lot of chatter on the Ford Kuga messageboard site about this and it appears that the update is a bit hit and miss. I have decided not to do a Sync 3 update via USB as I would be pretty much an early adopter as this is a brand new process, which might even be Beta at the moment judging by some comments. I am going to check back regularly on the various messageboards (Focus, Kuga etc) until a history of reliable installations develops.

In the mean time it would be good to get a bit of a history going here as at some point our Mustangs are going to need updates.

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Keith if you get a map update by download think yourself fortunate. Most manufacturers want lots of cash for updates. Ford want £250 for Sync2 maps on an SD card. You can buy a Garmin or Tomtom with hardware lifetime map updates & live traffic avoidance for less than that. I think they ask what they think they can get away with. Ford maps on SD are available for 1/4 of fords price.

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Postby slowhand99 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm

You can get genuine Sync 2 map SD cards on eBay for 50 quid or Amazon for 60 quid. Current version is F6.

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm

slowhand99 wrote:You can get genuine Sync 2 map SD cards on eBay for 50 quid or Amazon for 60 quid. Current version is F6.

will be F7 in a few months ;)!

Gaz911
Name: Gaz

Postby Gaz911 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Keith, thanks for this information. I will download today and hopefully put on this weekend and feedback to the forum.

Seeing the cars stuck on the drive with snow all around it, it gives me something to do.

Wibble
Name: Jim
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby Wibble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:42 am

KeithEdinburgh wrote:I checked the Ford UK website today and found a link to owner resources which I don't remember being there before, but maybe I missed it. You enter the VIN number and it comes back with the latest update of Sync 3 and (it says) maps but I'm not sure. You download the 2.6gig file and copy it to a USB drive, plug it into the port on your Mustang and Sync 3 takes over and should do the rest. There's a PDF guide to take you through this. This must be quite recent as I know Europe has been waiting for updates.

Hi Keith, can you confirm the URL for that ? Is it https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources- ... h/update#/ ?

I entered my VIN there and downloaded a 2.8GB zip file. Did I get the right thing ? Here is some file information.

File name: WF06XXGCC6HB59143.zip
File size: 2819369744 bytes
MD5sum: f3cae91e8b8cf8a0c2f5abc1a92ef5f5

The PDF instructions appear to be here https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxe ... -Guide.pdf and seem quite clear.

When you unzip the file, the internal timestamps are Feb 15th. There is a file called autoinstall.lst, which contains the following string: "SYNCGen3.0_2.3.17064_PRODUCT", perhaps a clue to the version. The current version og Sync3 in my MY17 Mustang is "Sync 3, software version: 2.0 Build 16074_PRODUCT".

Seems the new version might be Sync3 software version: 2.3 Build 17064 (?).

Cheers,
Jim

KeithEdinburgh

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Wibble wrote:
KeithEdinburgh wrote:I checked the Ford UK website today and found a link to owner resources which I don't remember being there before, but maybe I missed it. You enter the VIN number and it comes back with the latest update of Sync 3 and (it says) maps but I'm not sure. You download the 2.6gig file and copy it to a USB drive, plug it into the port on your Mustang and Sync 3 takes over and should do the rest. There's a PDF guide to take you through this. This must be quite recent as I know Europe has been waiting for updates.

Hi Keith, can you confirm the URL for that ? Is it https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources- ... h/update#/ ?

I entered my VIN there and downloaded a 2.8GB zip file. Did I get the right thing ? Here is some file information.

File name: WF06XXGCC6HB59143.zip
File size: 2819369744 bytes
MD5sum: f3cae91e8b8cf8a0c2f5abc1a92ef5f5

The PDF instructions appear to be here https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxe ... -Guide.pdf and seem quite clear.

When you unzip the file, the internal timestamps are Feb 15th. There is a file called autoinstall.lst, which contains the following string: "SYNCGen3.0_2.3.17064_PRODUCT", perhaps a clue to the version. The current version og Sync3 in my MY17 Mustang is "Sync 3, software version: 2.0 Build 16074_PRODUCT".

Seems the new version might be Sync3 software version: 2.3 Build 17064 (?).

Cheers,
Jim

This is the file. I put it on a USB stick and when i went for the service I offered it to the dealer to install for me (more in hope than expectation) but they said they didn't offer this service and it was the customer's responsibility. I can't pluck up the courage to do it as I really just want a map update and I'm not sure it this is on the file, or just a Sync 3 software update, which I don't really need. I notice people have been suggesting SD card updates, but this only applies to Sync 2. The only way to update Sync 3 and maps is the USB route. As I say the experience of Ford Kuga owners is not encouraging me to try this, and if you get the update installed and it has updated maps, then I'll definitely do it.

Wibble
Name: Jim
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby Wibble » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Ford seems to charge for map updates, like other manufacturers. The free download is unlikely to include maps, I guess.

The procedure all looks fine. Volunteers to try it take one step forward...

Gaz911
Name: Gaz

Postby Gaz911 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am

Update now done on Sync 3, My17 Mustang.

Worked fine, followed instructions with no issues.

To be honest, don't seem any difference. No map changes.

Make sure format mem stick as exfat and it may make no difference but I used an 8G stick.

Extract the Zip files to the root of the stick.

Dont blame me if it breaks your Sync3, its done at your own risk.

KeithEdinburgh

Postby KeithEdinburgh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

Gaz911 wrote:Update now done on Sync 3, My17 Mustang.

Worked fine, followed instructions with no issues.

To be honest, don't seem any difference. No map changes.

Make sure format mem stick as exfat and it may make no difference but I used an 8G stick.

Extract the Zip files to the root of the stick.

Dont blame me if it breaks your Sync3, its done at your own risk.

Brilliant. That's my decision made. I'll wait until there's a map update.

Garvin
Name: Garvin

Postby Garvin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 pm

What is the difference between doing a memory stick update and just connecting the car to wifi and getting it to update?

Return to “General Discussion”