Dash Cams

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Ant379
Name: Anthony
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Dash Cams

Postby Ant379 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:01 am

Hi, All

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.

Santa brought me some lovely gifts and also a gift I am very inquisitive of, a Dash Cam!

Who here who drives a Mustang has one of these? Bearing in mind that occasionally and accidentally you may go over the speed limit, who has one of these in their Mustang ?

Yes they are great for proving an incident in the cameras field of view but could you self incriminate yourself with one of these ?

What’s people’s views ?

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Re: Dash Cams

Postby slowhand99 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 am

You can turn off the speed stamp in most of them. Simples. :D

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby cati » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:50 am

yes and no - it still records gps data so simple - distance / time = speed if the plod want to nick you

largelunchbox
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby largelunchbox » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Can't see how in can incriminate you, if there's some evidence you were in the wrong then don't submit any dash cam footage.

Bedford Muscle
Name: Amarjit

Postby Bedford Muscle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I use one, but in the S-max (being my daily drive). I have on most of the time, incl. with the in-built mic...all in the name of self-regulating myself (speed & phone use).

Honesty speaking, i think it has made me a safer driver...though admittingly, haven't got round to getting one for the Mustang just yet... ;)

cati

Postby cati » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Plod can seize your dash cam card as evidence if they so wish....

if you want one in your car for the good you have to accept the bad that comes with it too...

look at the people who have been prosecuted for loading up youtube videos of them arsing about.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1211207

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:37 pm

I think given the comments here and on Piston Heads, I am going to decline to use this dash cam as a present .

My reasons being:

Cons of a Dash Cam:

Inadvertently self incriminate yourself for doing 2-3 miles over the limit - or any other irrelevant error you may make while driving.

Insurance company may deem yourself irresponsible in the event of a crash and refuse to pay you out.

Prove you are in the wrong in the event of a crash - if you’re in the wrong

Pros of a Dash Cam:

Prove you are in the right in the event of a crash - if you were in the right.

Above all, and most importantly, I don’t like all this Big Brother lark. It’s the reason I come off Facebook and the fact a camera is looking at you whenever you go really hisses me off.

Funny CCTV is rarely adequate in this day and age to take a clear picture ! What’s the point .

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm

It's all on your smartphone anyway...

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:37 pm

It won’t be long before they make dash cams front/ rear & sideways facing and a black box fitted as standard.

#boringdriving - it’s just a few miles away !

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 am

Ant379 wrote:It won’t be long before they make dash cams front/ rear & sideways facing and a black box fitted as standard.

I think its on a Citroen C3 where a dashcam is standard equipment so Big Brother is already here.
I dont want to be monitored 24/7 so will never have the likes of Amazon Echo speaker.

cati

Postby cati » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 am

I have to be monitored 24:7

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 am

An ankle tag is considered classy jewellery where you come from.

cati

Postby cati » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:38 pm

i bejazzled mine.. it looks class. Going to the nick every day is a pain, but anyhoo that's what you get for stalking ann widdecombe

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 am

TimG wrote:
Ant379 wrote:It won’t be long before they make dash cams front/ rear & sideways facing and a black box fitted as standard.

I think its on a Citroen C3 where a dashcam is standard equipment so Big Brother is already here.
I dont want to be monitored 24/7 so will never have the likes of Amazon Echo speaker.

I bought one of those Echo thingys for my Fiancé. Although I am not oblivious to the fact that it probably gathers dialogue every second of the day and night, I am not really a criminal in any sense so it doesn’t bother me because it will be a computer monitoring it, and not a person.

I bet all these Siri / Google thingys / Amazon all listen in.

It won’t be common knowledge in their respective companies what happens but I bet there is a select department of top secret code writers etc who write code to produce algorithms of words relating to major crimes and terrorism that will ultimately raise alarms and be using in intelligence services.
Coupled with geographical location / language and dialects, All this and the access of cameras on phones / desk tops computers and laptops, it is gold to the intelligence services .

Back onto the Dash Cams.

We went to visit my Fiancé’s friends these last two days and she had one fitted front and back. I told her the reason why I wasn’t going to use my Dash Cam and one of her friends (ex detective) understood my angle.

Roll on the next day, we went out for the day. Her friend is quite intelligent and ‘all there’. However, driving out, she was in the left hand lane to then enter a roundabout and exit to the right (3 o clock exit position)

That of course meant she had to weave in to get into the right lane on the round about.

On the way back, she did the same thing but while she was in the right hand lane entering the roundabout, she then cut across on the small round about on to a single road on the left side exit.

A car in the left lane taking the same left exit was slightly behind So no incident occurred but it just shows how human we can be and how easy it is to incriminate yourself with these things.

Although both on the above circumstances would have been her fault had their been an incident, something a little more grey would be more tricky

cati

Postby cati » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm

:cow

Return to “General Discussion”