Roush Axle Back Exhaust - S550

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon
Year Of Mustang: None

Roush Axle Back Exhaust - S550

Postby sfallon36 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to report on a new Axle back I fitted, how I got it and costs.

I was in the market for a bit more character from my exhaust, but didn't want a horrendously loud one because I live in a small village and hate the drone on long journeys.

I listened to a few different Axle back versions and decided the Roush fitted my requirements.

I was in the States anyway, so checked out a few sites and ebay and finally got one from a Ford dealer in Athens for $450, which was a nice bargain to start with. My next problem was getting it home...

I was flying back early October, but only for five days, originally I was just going to take hand luggage, but decided to use the packaging from the box the exhaust arrived in and put the whole lot minus the tips into my North face bag. Tips went into hand luggage and were spotted by a keen petrol head x-ray operator at the airport, who loved them.

No problems getting them back to Heathrow, picked up the bag, straight through and headed home.

2 days later I was in a local garage facility called This is Your Garage (http://thisisyourgarage.com) which effectively rents you out a fully operational workshop for as long as you need. I was using the Roush and CJ Pony Parts installation guides, got the Mustang up on the four post lift, used a air powered recip saw to remove the old silencers and fitted the new ones.

I reckon with a bacon butty in the on site cafe, removal, fitting and alignment it took me 90 mins. I'd never done one before, so reckon I could knock a bit of time of another one if I had to do it again.

Then the moment of truth.... It sounds great!!! Great on cold start, perfect on tick over and a fantastic noise under hard acceleration. Additionally its not noticeable when just chilling out in normal road conditions.

Total cost for me was $450 for purchase in the States and another 30GBP (US laptop, no pound sign) for the workshop hire.

I understand this is not a typical way to buy one and bring it to the UK, but if you did decide to import one or even buy one in the UK, the fitting is really easy to do yourself, especially if you have a workshop nearby where you have a four post lift and all the tools.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: Roush Axle Back Exhaust - S550

Postby badhand » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Love it!

:rock

ADY282
Name: adrian drury
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby ADY282 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Was this on an Ecoboost ?

sfallon36

Postby sfallon36 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 pm

No, it's the Coyote V8.

Pilgrim
Name: Brad

Postby Pilgrim » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 am

Got that myself on my s550 excellent exhaust just the right balance and sounds awesome when the loud pedal is pressed firmly lol

Brad

sfallon36

Postby sfallon36 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:23 pm

I would definitely recommend it for someone who wants a bit more character without the extreme nature of some of the systems.

I will eventually do a X pipe fit too, my concern is that it might be too loud then.

I have seen a resonator delete system which is not as loud as a straight x-pipe. Anyone else seen anything?

Pilgrim
Name: Brad

Postby Pilgrim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 am

I was speaking to mike at unit 4 autos and he knows someone who went down the delete and xpipe but put I back because it became too loud
But its all personal taste .
Ill be leaving mine as is because it allows you to drive around in towns and at night ect withought it being to offensive and noisy especially if it an dark oclock journey start lol
Brad

sfallon36

Postby sfallon36 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I live in a small village, so didn't want to be too noisy either, the Roush has increased it, but not too much. I think the X-Pipe might be too much though.

The one that is modulated in some way might be the option I eventually go.

Return to “General Discussion”