Activated Tri Bar DRL's & Sequencers

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon
Year Of Mustang: None

Re: Activated Tri Bar DRL's & Sequencers

Postby sfallon36 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks mate, they do look good.

I contacted Mick and discussed all the options, he's doing some cool stuff with the lights.

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby Manders Mustang » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm

sfallon36 wrote:Thanks mate, they do look good.

I contacted Mick and discussed all the options, he's doing some cool stuff with the lights.

Indeed, he's got some funky RGBW fogs he sells, and he's looking at doing rear sequencers too. I've had Rears for about 6 months now, and fronts a year in December. After a few teething issues with the fronts (condensation) they're now perfect, and I don't stress about them.

I'm planning to "release" a fix to the condensing lights, which includes stock lights. Soon, however Stockers I'd rather not touch as that should be a warranty issue. But modded ones, there's a fundamental flaw and difference between Export and US lights, and that's down to how the lights are ventilated. :rock

sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby sfallon36 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I've spoken to Mick and he has a range of options now, should be seeing him in January to get mine done.

Monkey hanger
Name: Monkey Hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 am

Brief update....couple of months in now, both mine & my pals cars, absolutely no issues with condensation (or anything else for that matter) the cars now REALLY pop day & night....would get some photos up but after a couple of attempts, can't be arsed figuring out how to do it (sorry). Mick is getting busy now, but I am booked back into his surgery on Tuesday (12th Dec) for more mods...it gets addictive!

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 am

If anyone is interested in a spare pair of headlights a mate of mines bought a set of coplus headlights (new unit) and has his unmodded stock headlights for sale for £650 (Sold for £1050 brand new) incase anyone wants the option to go back to stock at any point or just wants a tribar installer to install them on a spare set of lights :rock

Magnetic_gt
Name: Ian

Postby Magnetic_gt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 am

I’m picking my new mustang up in April. Is there anyone a bit nearer to Essex who can do the tri bar DRL’s? Leyland seems a bit far.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 am

I tend to not read the tribar posts cos I have such little interest in them but go where's good. There aren't many doing it and some of them are making awful hash ups of it. Its not an easy job apparently.

Wait for someone here to point you in the right direction and make the trip. Or end up with trouble.

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

Magnetic_gt wrote:I’m picking my new mustang up in April. Is there anyone a bit nearer to Essex who can do the tri bar DRL’s? Leyland seems a bit far.

Right here's my honest opinion on it all, most have heard it in segments before, but generally listen to whichever side they want, so here it all is together, and bare with me!

There's a chap in Essex called AP mustang conversions who's done a few, there's fortis that are now under new management, and then there's Micks auto garage. There was also a guy called Ian who did it, but I haven't heard much from him. We've also seen a few owners from other forums DIY it. a guy called usmans now completed 3 conversions, a chap called doug up in Scotland has done his own, another chap called craig in Cheshire's done his own, and also seen a guy called gary (On no forums), do his own. Some has burned the lights in the process, but it's self-doable, americans do it themselves quite a bit.

Every light will condense, I don't care what anyone says, stock condenses, American stock unit condenses, modded condenses, it just depends how much it condenses, modded generally condense more than stock, however I've seen stock worse than modded and so on and so forth. SO there's always that risk.

As a pose to the lights, everyone uses diode dynamics kit for the front, some choose to cut the indicator wire from this allowing for just the DRL and no sequential indicators, there's also a RGBW (multi colour version), and most use Exotic pony mods rear kit for the rears, fortis originally developed the boards and sold them on, I assume EPM were the lucky winners of those, the control units for the lights are usually hand made allowing for either sequencing brakes (wouldn't recommend, totally illegal), sequencing indicators (Illegal, but if a switch to go back to stock is integrated its fine), or both.

Would I recommend doing this mod having had mine on the car now for well over a year? I'm not sure, I fking loveeeeeeee how they look, they're mean, they're insanely attractive as far as lights go, but I was the "original" owner of these, had them before anyone else, yada yada, the boards etc are fine (now). Originally my boards from Diode came with the wiring incorrect, this is a factory default and meant my indicators indicated in the sequencece (on pass side) 1 3 2, rather than 1 2 3. Fortis fixed this pretty quickly by alternating wires, but somewhat destroyed my faith in diode. Then when the unit was on sidelight mode, the lights flickered, if it was on headlight they were fine, so after 6 mnths back and forward diode sent new control units (lights were fine it was just the PWM in the lights control box). But all that said the headlight units are a royal pain, I've heard of many people keeping on nurturing their lights to keep condensation out etc, which you notice way more now there's a mod there as you're looking at it more. Mine generally don't condense unless the car's sat outside for a few days and/or heavy rain. Takes a few days to clean out.

I've tried many methods for stopping condensation completely, even on stock lights (I've got a stock set and a modded set). The modded stay on my car, they've got an added Gore vent on the back of them that draws water and cool air out of them whilst stationary, they've also got the pipe filter (this is an oem part) plugged up to stop water dripping into it. They will still condense if situation arises as stated above.

The stock one I've tried plugging the square vent on the back of it, or plugged the pipe, or a combination of both, it still condenses.

Until someone releases a totally air tight sealant that can go over every nook and cranny of the light, I doubt they'll not condense. As I think the plastic used from OEM isn't even air tight (and I know that makes no logical sense), but, it's the only explanation after plugging every hole lol. That, or the seals on OEM are total trash, in places no eye, or water ('ve submerged the lights in water to no avail), can find. :lol:

All in all, if you want the lights, get them, there's people that do them - just don't be disappointed when you start to notice condensation you used to not see :lol: . The lights are fine, the headlight units, have and always will be, trash (OEM or modded)

EDIT: MY18'S NOW COME WITH DRLS ENABLED, IF YOUR APRIL PICKUP IS A MY18 IT WONT NEED TRI-BARS MODDING INTO IT. THE INFO ABOVE RELATED TO MY15-17'S

Return to “General Discussion”