Activated Tri Bar DRL's & Sequencers

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Monkey hanger
Name: Monkey Hanger
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Activated Tri Bar DRL's & Sequencers

Postby Monkey hanger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Anyone interested in activating the Tri Bar DRL's then read on.....

A pal of mine (fellow Stang owner) recently came across Mick Scott on facebook Mick (as it turned out) is a top notch mechanic & auto electrician, he is also the proud owner of an amazing S550 which now bears little resemblance to the stock which he bought new. Mick....Clever boy that he is, has devised a way to fit the Diode Dynamics DRL boards, without 'baking' the headlights, which means the original butyl seals are intact, the unit is completely as it should be & waterproof when sealed.

So anyway, I arranged to visit Mick in his workshop on Wednesday 18th Oct, to have mine done. The results are A1 amazing, I now have fully activated tri bar DRL's, which even dim slightly when the headlights are on, they also sequence when indicating (Orange) He also installed switchback indicators which double up as extra DRL's when not indicating.
Mick is operating a 'swap' service, so a set of lights are already tested & ready to install when you arrive, he actually bought new sets of lights from Ford, to get up & running....I was his first customer & I am absolutely chuffed....Any excuse to leave the house, & I am off out turning left & right!

Timeline...
Arrived at Micks Auto's 09:30am ( after 2 &1/2 hour drive from the North East)
After a chat & a brew, Mick got my car on the lift & got underway 10:20am
After a few more chats, brews, & customers calling in, work all completed & tested at 15:10pm

I watched the whole install, & was very impressed with how methodically Mick works, The only assistance he needed from me, was extra hands when he removed/refitted the front end.

Oh....the above times included installation of an OEM illuminated pony to the front grill (20 mins) which i supplied, & a new lower grill, which replaced that awful one Ford bestowed upon us RHD owners (Mick has these in stock, 20 mins)

All in all I cannot recommend this guy enough, my pal (currently on holiday in Florida) is his next customer.
With regard to price for the full job, I suggest you contact Mick but I can honestly say you will NOT be disappointed in the quote.

I will try & get photos/video up but still not worked out how to do it!

Micks Autos
Unit 1
North Star Court
Eden Street
Leyland
PR25 2FR
Mob: 07859 043923

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: Activated Tri Bar DRL's & Sequencers

Postby badhand » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Monkey hanger wrote:I will try & get photos/video up but still not worked out how to do it!

Use Imgur or dropbox and link from there. Don't go anywhere near PhotoFucket. :evil:

But i'm guessing it looks something like this now:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Postby slowhand99 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Is he a gynaecologist?

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 pm

For what its worth, the biggest disappointment I had with the car was the crap lights, & especially the deactivated Tri Bar DRL's. That has now been rectified, thanks to Mick Scott & the time, effort & expense he put into developing his method for installing the DD boards & getting this right (I mean, that oven thing was NEVER the way forward). Like I said above, only a 6 hour turnaround & a bargain to boot.

I'm sure there are owners out there who are happy with the stock set up, & thats fine....However, for those of us up North, who want our cars to look the way they should, there is now a solution that does not entail a 2 day stopover near London....& light assemblies that have been baked!

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 am

Sorry, just teasing. You S550 boys love your lights....

But glad you've found someone who's cracked it. Keep us updated to whether the job stays good. We've seen some odd sh!t going on with some of the half-baked conversions.

See what I did there?

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 am

lol...yeah, i have heard of issues with condensation, water ingress etc, not good...& was the main reason I held off, but no chance of that with these. 5 days in now, been out in real heavy rain & also had the jet wash on them....no problems.

GazDavies
Name: Gareth Davies
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby GazDavies » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 am

Sounds great and only 20 mins drive for me. Any indication on price (pm me if you prefer)? I would normally just phone the bloke to find out but I'm in the middle of the sahara right now with nothing but a very slow internet connection.

Im still stuck between modding my MY17 S550 or upgrading to a MY18 when the prices and specs are eventually released!

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am

Gaz, I would prefer that you speak to Mick, as I don't want to get into comparative pricing, if it helps, you can email Mick at: mickscott1@live.co.uk feel free to mention me (he knows who I am) I got his email from his business card so no problem with privacy! What I will say is that I have looked into this elsewhere & all things considered Mick's deal was a bargain.

Like you, i was considering a MY18 model, but despite all of the hype, I am happy to get bits of work done here & there & enjoy my S550. I will certainly be getting the next facelift model prob around 2020/21.

In the Sahara eh, I'm on leave from Kazakhstan, middle of nowhere on a 4 x 4 rotation, happy days!

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Postby Manders Mustang » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Not a bad timeline, most of the hardwork is done prior looking at that, as in the cutting of the light (I wont spoil how he does it). Only manual labour left is to rewire the car and test them up.

Keep an eye on your lights as a whole. Winter is the month they get misty, take it from me, everyones do, don't worry, you're looking for droplets and streaks and puddles, that's when an issue arises, but mist is fine, that'll take a day or two to clear, even unmodded lights have them.

But also keep an eye on the actual lights, I've had mine on for the longest period, and Diode and a bit precarious, I've had lights indicating incorrectly (1,3,2 instead of 1,2,3) and had them flickering on sidelight only mode.

As BH says, post some pics :D! (mind you I have seen a couple of cars he's done through FB etc).

slowhand99
Name: Ben

Postby slowhand99 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Don't forget, occasional condensation is normal (see the manual).

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 am

Mand/SH99

Thanks for the advice guys, especially with potential DD board issues, TBH, my stang is garaged most of the time & not allowed to play out in the wet...I will get some pics up on Imgur & post a link shortly

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:46 am

Monkey hanger wrote:Mand/SH99

Thanks for the advice guys, especially with potential DD board issues, TBH, my stang is garaged most of the time & not allowed to play out in the wet...I will get some pics up on Imgur & post a link shortly

And from me again.... get the car driven every now and then, the lights are setup so that driving will filter the air better, being a stagnant car doesn't allow for air flow. I know my garage isn't dry air, it's just a garage, no heating etc. But if you have that it'll help. Every now and then just take it for a run out for a little bit. :rock

GazDavies
Name: Gareth Davies

Postby GazDavies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 am

Monkey hanger wrote:Gaz, I would prefer that you speak to Mick, as I don't want to get into comparative pricing, if it helps, you can email Mick at: mickscott1@live.co.uk feel free to mention me (he knows who I am) I got his email from his business card so no problem with privacy! What I will say is that I have looked into this elsewhere & all things considered Mick's deal was a bargain.

Like you, i was considering a MY18 model, but despite all of the hype, I am happy to get bits of work done here & there & enjoy my S550. I will certainly be getting the next facelift model prob around 2020/21.

In the Sahara eh, I'm on leave from Kazakhstan, middle of nowhere on a 4 x 4 rotation, happy days!

Cheers Monkey Hanger, an email address is all that I need.

4 x 4 rotation in Kazakhstan sounds like luxury! 9 on 3 off based in Timbuktu (yes it is a real place) isn't as much fun unfortunately.

sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon

Postby sfallon36 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Did you ever get round to some photos? I would really like to do this.

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm

sfallon36 wrote:Did you ever get round to some photos? I would really like to do this.

For photo's sake, here's some of mine. Mine weren't done at Micks, they were done at Fortis Auto... I've had them for nearly a year :)

Return to “General Discussion”