Mustang interiors sixth gen onwards

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
LJTE97
Name: Luke
Year Of Mustang: None

Mustang interiors sixth gen onwards

Postby LJTE97 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

I am doing a project on sixth gen mustang interiors and would like to know what people like and dislike about the interiors. Could be anything, from colour limitations to the way things are styled or placed.
I don't own a mustang personally myself but I am really interested in what you guys think.

Thank you for taking time to read this and I look forward to seeing your responses.
Have a nice day all :)

*I hope to get one in the future!*

UNPC
Name: Murray Johnson
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: Mustang interiors sixth gen onwards

Postby UNPC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:52 am

So what is this project for?

As it happens I have a 6th gen and I engineer car interiors (mostly high end luxury stuff) for a living.

My main beef with the interior of this car is the centre console is handed for LHD and as such the handbrake is on the wrong side and so are the cup holders. A tall cup gets in the way of your arm when changing gear. Additionally the top roll of the door trims is hard and gets a bit tiresome on your elbow on a 300 mile drive.

Some of the plastics are a bit hard and scratchy but at this price I wouldn't expect anything more. If I cared that much about these things I would have ended up in something dull, like an Audi.

On the plus side, it's ergonomically ok (console aside) and the seats are great. I would have liked an option of cloth seats too as the quality of the leather is something DFS would reject.

LJTE97

Postby LJTE97 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 pm

I am a university student and doing a project about redesigning the ford mustang interior. This covers all aspects such as ergonomics, aesthetics, materials and heritage.
Any kind of feedback is extremely helpful so I appreciate you taking the time to answer the questions I asked.
I will also be sending my work to ford so they can see what clients would like, and not like.

Again, thank you for your help

Harley103
Name: Alex
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Harley103 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Obviously we’re answering from a British perspective here on a car we view as American as apple pie, and a car we only have limited interior options for compared to US customers.

In brief I’d say most brits think American cars tend to be terrible plastic interior jobs and as such everyone that views the interior of my mustang is very pleasantly surprised. To be honest, I was really chuffed with how nice it is, especially for the price.

I’ll give you a more detailed account of my opinion later sometime when I’m off nightshifts. Would be an interesting discussion though

LJTE97

Postby LJTE97 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 pm

They do seem to come with a decent amount of kit for the price (35-50k)
Knowing what they're like to live with *good and bad* is key to improving the interior and by seeing the similarities of people's opinions and the odd major differences could really make an impact on that.
And when talking about limited options compared to the US market, what things would you like to see for UK options?

It's just understanding the balance between improving for the user and not going too crazy..(of course it's a mustang so it is a little mad)
And considering ford are now officially making the mustang in the UK market I thought designing one which is slightly more tailored to that would appeal more.

Appreciate the feedback, thank you

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

LJTE97 wrote:considering ford are now officially making the mustang in the UK market I thought designing one which is slightly more tailored to that would appeal more.

So curry hooks, brolly pockets and dogging lights then. :lol:

Seriously, I'd think about that a bit more. A huge part of the appeal of the Mustang is that it is AMERICAN and Anglification of something so entrenched in US culture could be a mistake. Swapping the handbrake and cup holder would be a great solution to a RHD problem, but British design cues would go down badly with the yank loving audience I'd imagine.

:cow

But good luck! I'd love to see some of your concepts. It's an interesting project.

LJTE97

Postby LJTE97 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Yeah that's very helpful, thank you. Keeping it very American is essential as you have said.
I shall possibly post some of the concepts in the future to see how well they go down.

Might design a few brolly pockets and dogging lights while I'm at it :lol:

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby TimG » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I agree the hand brake is on the wrong side (at least it has one). I dont think the cup holders would be usable with a manual even from LH seat. It matters not to me never having used such a device. One thing bugs me is the high beam warning which is often hidden by tacho needle, I thinks it quite important & its position could have easily been swapped with a little used light. Reflections from the tunnel can make the speedo hard to read when the sun is over you right shoulder. For the price the interior design & quality is good, better than the Chrysler 300C I had.

Tim

LJTE97

Postby LJTE97 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 pm

I hadn't thought about light causing issues for visibility inside the cabin at all. And never heard of the needles obstructing anything so that is very interesting to know, I will take that on board and see about including it into my designs

Thank you

Smogz
Name: Smogz

Postby Smogz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Positives:
The high twin binnacles
Ground Speed
The aluminium trim
Round air vents
Toggle switches (better if they were alloy rather than plastic)
I like the ability to change the colour of the ambient lighting and instruments but some may think it's gimmicky (I think it's cool)
The Mustang plate on the console

Negatives:
Handbrake on wrong side (for reasons pointed out)
Leather quality is poor
I find the pedals are a bit of a stretch but then I'm a short ar*e northerner and not a cornfed Texan

Overall I find the cabin a pleasant place

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:09 pm

like it all except for

1. The centre puter does not talk to the clusters
2. Touch screens suck - much better to have an idrive thingy
3. materials suck
4. not enough dials with engine things on them
5. needs a machine gun button