michelins vs pirelli

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: michelins vs pirelli

Postby badhand » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

cati wrote:best all round tyre for s197 - Nittos - without a doubt awesome road and track tyre for the s197.

Shit shit shit. Totally forgot about Nittos!!!! You're right. Awesome tyre on the S197.

Just bought a set of bloody Falkens. Bugger bugger bugger.

:twisted:

Smogz
Name: Smogz
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Smogz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:43 pm

cati wrote:smogz - if you think zeros are safe i hope i never have to share a road with you either......

i am perfectly comfortable driving on zeros as i know their behaviour when they let go under braking and under power due to off road time and that makes me a better driver as i invested in my learning and skills

if you want to drive a high powered car and not understand it then i rest my case... even police drivers learn the limits of their cars so under all circumstances they are always completely in control..

yes i am saying if you don't want to invest in driving lessons to understand the limits then you have low self esteem as early expanding your knowledge through the application of practice is a clear worry and if you constantly break traction without knowing why and what to do you have a low driving standard.

I drive on the road to the conditions and the road traffic act, i just know that while within those prerequisites the pzeros do and often loose traction and i also know what to do when that happens irrespective of the tc or dsc kicking in. if you think zeros are satisfactory on a 400 bhp car or even a 300 bhp s197 then i think we should suspend our conversation as clearly you talk a safety game but don't understand what constitutes a safe tyre. Perhaps ford agree as they seem to be supplying michelin now...........

Good day good sir.

Do the tyres control the vehicle or does the driver?
Which of the two is in control and provides input?
When I were a lad I was taught that a poor tradesman blamed his tools.

The tyres are not dangerous. They are not the best, I wouldn't even consider them great, but they're not dangerous.
They're far better than tyre compounds when I started driving (with no driver aids).

The Mustang isn't a slouch, it is a bit slow compared to what I'm used to but I like the character.
I think it's hilarious that you're passing judgement on abilities and self esteem of someone you've never met.

I bow down to your superior driving skills and intellect, I could never hope of matching them.
I'll have to make do with what little I have.

On that point, I'm well aware of the limitations of the vehicle. Being aware of them I drive accordingly on public roads. I've only lost traction when I've intended to.

I believe it's yourself that is stating that you couldn't trust yourself to know when the tyres were going to loose traction?
Or maybe I read your post wrong?

I'm not into the whole condescending passive aggressive thing, seems you are.

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:44 pm

smogs - you know best

over and out

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm

cati

Postby cati » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 am

actually i quite like passive aggressive - especially with a bit of rubber involved- quite a turn on.

i think you misread my post - it seems we agree, apart from pirelli being crap - but then i think we do..

i didn't question your driving history, i just questioned your view on zeros and the requirement to test your skills when driving a high performance car...

i dont feel the need to bring up my car history but happy to wave a willy if it helps and may be kiss and make up

Smogz
Name: Smogz

Postby Smogz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 am

No worries.

The recent snow made driving a challenge, not worth studded tyres for the odd week a year we get snow in the U.K. Winter tyres are nice in the lower temps, didn't have those fitted.

Would have been a bit embarrassing and awkward if I'd then had to come on the forum and say I'd wrapped my Mustang round a kerb ;-)

DavePrice
Name: David price
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby DavePrice » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm

many posts on this forum and elsewhere on tyres... but i thought i would add my tuppence worth! After the snows in December i decided i had to get some winter tyres as on the first day of snow i managed to get a grand total of about 5 yards off my drive and had to leave my car abandoned most of the day in the middle of our road!

Bought some Hankook winter tyres from Oponeo (Very good service!) and i must say, even when not on snow the grip difference between these and the original Pirellis is enormous. i guess as a daily drive you dont really notice how tentative you are on any slightly greasy surface on the Pirellis but the Hankooks are miles better.

i dont think i will even bother putting the Pirellis back on and will get something else, Michelin most likely as i think the original tyres are just awful!

Pilgrim
Name: Brad

Postby Pilgrim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 am

I drove 150 miles in the snow on the Pirellis with ought any issues As I've said before I've had the p zero on many cars and had no problem with them never once did they let go unpredictably on those cars admittedly two of the where audi quattro
I must admit they don't feel as good on the mustang in cold icy conditions which I don't understand yes the other cars where quite powerful too so its not that I can only assume its the rubber they are produced from in the states . id be interested to find out from anyone in the trade or expert on tyres not personal views from user because it all varies really .are the after market p zeros in the uk the same as the ones fitted to the mustang ?
Brad

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am

I did not trust the Pirelli summer tyres for a powerful car in the winter so fitted Nokian winter tyres. If you live in Kent & all the roads you drive are gritted perhaps the original tyres are fine. Not so in Scotland & many roads I drive are untreated. There are plenty of videos showing the advantage winter tyres have with traction, steering & braking in temps below 7C.
I suspect the P Zero retail tyres you buy in Europe are not the same compound as the Mexican made OE tyres. My front Nokians were made in Finland & the rears in Russia. US buyers get an all weather option on some models
Plenty of useful info & test links here.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/ori ... ment-tires

cati

Postby cati » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 pm

I used to drive pirelli in a foot or two of snow in the mustang - not out of choice mostly when i got caught out by the useless Us weather forecasting in NY. proper snow I tell you, not this uk namby pam by stuff

They where ok in light but no good in heavy.... used to get up the driveway in full tokyo drift mode

when I came to my senses and fitted some good snow tyres on the mustang - holy shit, it was awesome... then put them on the X5 and I was Hanno Mikekkkaallala for thirty minutes

now the caveat - unless you get a lot of snow- like it lays on the roads for a days and it happens every other week ( may be scotland ) I would not bother.

sfallon36
Name: Steve Fallon
Year Of Mustang: None

Postby sfallon36 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I quite like the pirellis, they give good feedback and are controllable, I've never really got on with Michelin's historically.

I do admit they spin up quite easy, but any slides have been really easy to control.

Harley103
Name: Alex

Postby Harley103 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 pm

My rear Michelin PSS are almost ready for the bin now. They've barely got 2mm left and I've had 14,000 miles on them, needless to say I'm really really impressed how well they've lasted. They do appear to be loosing their stick in the cold winter months now though, Im putting it down to the rubber being almost gone now. They were definitely fantastic in the wet and dry for the first 10k of use

Return to “General Discussion”