michelins vs pirelli

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: michelins vs pirelli

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:25 am

Pilgrim wrote:audi A6 bi turbo is 479lb ft of torque and lots of low down torque and a 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds so not a low powered slow car only advantage is four wheel drive but that is also biased to the rear wheels

Yep, but my point is that they're two totally differing cars, different setups, different suspension, different everything, what tyre works on one most certainly does not work on another.

For ref... i just bough 4x 275 MPSS's to replace my 2pzeros and 2MPSS (rears) that were 255s.

Smogz
Name: Smogz
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Smogz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 am

Sorry, but I disagree.
The P-Zeros are not dangerous.
If you’re not aware of the limitations of your vehicle and drive to the conditions then you shouldn’t be on the road.

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am

Smogz wrote:Sorry, but I disagree.
If you’re not aware of the limitations of your vehicle and drive to the conditions then you shouldn’t be on the road.

Their unpredictability is dangerous to new drivers who are not aware of this. Alternative tyres such as the MPSS provide far greater road prediction, and trust in your car, rather than driving a wheeling death trap.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:45 pm

These PiSSeros must be good though.

They're only £3,160.00 a set for my Bentley...

Pilgrim
Name: Brad

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm

badhand wrote:These PiSSeros must be good though.

I was hoping they would be a reasonable price when mine wear out but it seems they are for people with loads of dosh ,
tyres are a personal choice tho and some of it comes thro experience I've had the p zeros on several cars ( opel manta GTE Toyota supra Toyota MR2 .Lexus IS200 audi S5 audi A6 b turbo )and none of them had any issues and most of them where quite fast in terms of performance and torque ,not sure if there is a diff between the one in the uk to the ones from usa in terms of compound used . I think some of the issues people are having are
1 they are not used to high powered rear wheel drive cars
2 possibly diff compound on US tyres ( not confirmed but I have read that the ones supplied are oem type tyres just branded by Pirelli that ford uses )
3. the traction control on the mustang is definitely set at higher limits to allow some fun compared to most cars sold in the UK
4. the state of the roads in UK poor and cheep uneven road surfaces lots of roundabouts with the usual amount of oil and diesel on them
Last edited by Pilgrim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Yeah I was hoping they'd be cheaper. I'm such a ponce, I'd have put up with the Pshit tyres for white letters on the sides. But not at that price.

Pilgrim
Name: Brad

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm

badhand wrote:Yeah I was hoping they'd be cheaper. I'm such a ponce, I'd have put up with the Pshit tyres for white letters on the sides. But not at that price.

wanted the yellow ones myself lol
but back in the day I used to paint the lettering on the tyres on my bikes so maybe get some tyre lettering paint . lol

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:27 pm

We've all done it... :D

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Pilgrim wrote:

I was hoping they would be a reasonable price when mine wear out but it seems they are for people with loads of dosh ,
tyres are a personal choice tho and some of it comes thro experience I've had the p zeros on several cars ( opel manta GTE Toyota supra Toyota MR2 .Lexus IS200 audi S5 audi A6 b turbo )and none of them had any issues and most of them where quite fast in terms of performance and torque ,not sure if there is a diff between the one in the uk to the ones from usa in terms of compound used . I think some of the issues people are having are
2 possibly diff compound on US tyres ( not confirmed but I have read that the ones supplied are oem type tyres just branded by Pirelli that ford uses )
3. the traction control on the mustang is definitely set at higher limits to allow some fun compared to most cars sold in the UK
4. the state of the roads in UK poor and cheep uneven road surfaces lots of roundabouts with the usual amount of oil and diesel on them

2. yes they are
3. traction control is fairly agricultural on mustangs
4. US roads even interstates are even xxxx than uk roads and yes the mustang P zeros are just as shit on those.

cati

Postby cati » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Pilgrim wrote:

2. yes they are a diff compound and yes pirelli make these evil piles of shit
3. traction control is fairly agricultural on mustangs
4. US roads even interstates are even xxxx than uk roads and yes the mustang P zeros are just as shit on those.

That said i do enjoy driving on them, because they don't wear out without severe abuse and it is a laugh when they slide like buggery. but not when it happens all the time in every gear..then it gets a bit wearing

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 pm

I have experience of both high powered rear wheel drive cars, and varying tyres, having run a few makes and models of tyre on S197 Mustangs over the years in all conditions from baking track to snow-covered road.

Whether they are not suited well to the Mustang specifically, or there's different compounds or they're just a shit overpriced tyre Pirelli have done a nice deal with Ford (and other manufacturers) to get them as OE, who knows? But I found them worse than cheaper brands.

They're not 'dangerous' but I have first hand experience of the Zeros tramlining, aquaplaning and understeering. Now I'm no Stig, and these observations are hardly 'laboratory conditions' qualified, but as cati says, they like to let go quite easily on our cold, damp, greasy, poorly surfaced roads, which can be fun, unless it's the fronts. But blaming conditions and traction control etc is no justification - it's the same conditions for all tyres. The PZees just don't fill me with the same confidence as some cheaper tyres I'd push much harder on.

cati

Postby cati » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 pm

so to offer some useful advice

best all round tyre for s197 - Nittos - without a doubt awesome road and track tyre for the s197.

best all round tyre for s550 - I can only say Michelin ps2 - only because they have all i have tried and are awesome. if nitto get there ass in gear and start stocking the size I would love to try them.

cati

Postby cati » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Smogz wrote:Sorry, but I disagree.

Ok... I call this bullshit and bite.... if you drive a high powered car- you have a responsibility to be able to handle it and bring it back under control. This stuff can happen inadvertently and catches out the unwary...... just look at mums against mustangs on facebook. Apart from being the single most funny thing.... except the rude silvianin families thing- forest friends.... it shows what can happen if you don't understand your car.

If you drive to the limits then you then you don't know what will happen when it goes tits up.... the key issue is where you drive beyond the limits.. ideally you should practice at an off track day ( we don't mention these much as bad hand tends to go in one car and come home in another... not tyre related of course)

so ultimately, the issue with p zeros is when they let loose.... for me as an experienced high power car driver they break to quickly. i enjoy it as it test me... but at first and I will be honest enough it caught me out and I looked a tit. I was only saved by living in 'merica with big wide roads and they just thought i was another inbred local with a couple of chromosomes missing, rather than the debonair and sauve british guy that i am.

So bottom line - if your self esteem is as low as your driving standards - stick with the pirellis. if you want to be safe and sound on the road invest in some off road track time, trash your zeros and buy some decent rubber that will run out before you run out of talent and when you do you might have a chance of protecting your arse and whomever's bottom is around you

sermon and beer mode off...

fell free to discuss or call me what ever....

Smogz
Name: Smogz

Postby Smogz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Lol.

So anyone who can't control their car that's shed with Pzeroes has low self esteem and poor driving skills.

Righto.

I'd suggest employing good control, driving to the conditions and not driving at the limits on public roads is a better idea.

I don't drive anywhere near the limit unless I'm on a track, whether on 4 wheels or 2.

If you're stating you can't trust yourself on Pzeroes then I hope that we never share a road with my family in the car.

cati

Postby cati » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:33 pm

smogz - if you think zeros are safe i hope i never have to share a road with you either......

i am perfectly comfortable driving on zeros as i know their behaviour when they let go under braking and under power due to off road time and that makes me a better driver as i invested in my learning and skills

if you want to drive a high powered car and not understand it then i rest my case... even police drivers learn the limits of their cars so under all circumstances they are always completely in control..

yes i am saying if you don't want to invest in driving lessons to understand the limits then you have low self esteem as early expanding your knowledge through the application of practice is a clear worry and if you constantly break traction without knowing why and what to do you have a low driving standard.

I drive on the road to the conditions and the road traffic act, i just know that while within those prerequisites the pzeros do and often loose traction and i also know what to do when that happens irrespective of the tc or dsc kicking in. if you think zeros are satisfactory on a 400 bhp car or even a 300 bhp s197 then i think we should suspend our conversation as clearly you talk a safety game but don't understand what constitutes a safe tyre. Perhaps ford agree as they seem to be supplying michelin now...........

Good day good sir.

Return to “General Discussion”