Important!! Oil cooler leak issue on RHD 5.0 Mustangs

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Monkey hanger
Name: Monkey Hanger
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Important!! Oil cooler leak issue on RHD 5.0 Mustangs

Postby Monkey hanger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:43 pm

You may already be aware of this BIG problem....potentially a new engine required
Myself & a fellow owner have emaild Ford UK & received a standard generic respons...dont think they want to openly admit anything is wrong

Follow the link below, (or cut & paste into your browser)

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-f ... rd-mustang

& this one...

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index. ... ic=31242.0

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Re: Important!! Oil cooler leak issue on RHD 5.0 Mustangs

Postby Manders Mustang » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:54 pm

There's deffo an issue with them. I can count at least 10 I know of having the issue. Which is more than the wiring loom issue.

FWIW:
Wiring loom 1 car set on fire - Recall
Oil cooler 10 public cases at least, warranty (TSB).

Oil cooler yet has as big effect.

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for that Manders....I did'nt know about the wiring thing...is that on both the Eco's & 5.0's?

WRT the oil cooler, my pal & I contacted those nice chaps at JWR...apparently they are on the case & looking at a fix, Ford are currently keeping schtum on the subject, so would rather shell out for a fix, than wait for the catastophic event of dumping my oil & shredding my coyote, while miles from home!

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 am

Monkey hanger wrote:Thanks for that Manders....I did'nt know about the wiring thing...is that on both the Eco's & 5.0's?

WRT the oil cooler, my pal & I contacted those nice chaps at JWR...apparently they are on the case & looking at a fix, Ford are currently keeping schtum on the subject, so would rather shell out for a fix, than wait for the catastophic event of dumping my oil & shredding my coyote, while miles from home!

Wiring loom was an early GT only issue due ot where the manifold was, needed heat proofing on one of the looms, caused a burnt mustang. Ford replaced the entire car.

A lot of companies are on the war path to fix the oil cooler. Granted, If I had a v8 I'd sooner be going aftermarket fix and making ford pay and warranty it, than them fixing it. I've seen their 'fixes' and it's fking sh1te.

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

test mule being stripped down today , by the end of the day we hope to know what we need to adapt the US Mishimoto oil cooler kit to suit the UK cars

ill keep you posted

cheers

Jason :D

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:53 am

I think we have sussed this already

I wont count my chickens just yet , but having the car in the air and looking at the kit we have in front of us we look like we can make this work with relative ease

ill be reporting back later

cheers

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Job done (well almost)

Oil cooler on , in position and all plumbed in , no problems at all

We will put the rest of the car back together and double check everything just to be sure everything is mounted and routed correctly but we are pretty confident

The OEM unit does present a problem that can actually be really easily dealt with but we want to do a proper , neat job

To do the job properly and eliminate the issues mentioned above you want to fully remove the OEM oil cooler modine , if you do this you will have to replace it with something else so the oil still flows freely round the full engine. You could leave the OEM modine in place and just run a U bend hose , that will work but would not solve the problem of these coolers leaking / failing

We intend to machine a plate to the exact shape of the OEM modine so all fixing points are maintained including those for the attached sensor and have outlet / inlet pipe for said u bend hose. The hose will be oil resistant also

We have heard of some people installing the kit and leaving the OEM cooler fully connected , not only does this not solve the above problem but leaves you running 2 coolers , it may be unlikely but one has to be cautious not to overcool the oil!

We think our solution will be the best overall and will remove the OEM kit entirely saving all the issues they have been suffering occurring

ill post pics when I have some

cheers

Monkey hanger

Postby Monkey hanger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Jason

Great news...well done on getting a good quality work around up & (nearly) running for us nervous Coyote types....
Will this be a fairy simple job for a DIY mechanic, i.e. order the kit & follow instructions, or go see my local pro?

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Monkey hanger wrote:Jason

Great news...well done on getting a good quality work around up & (nearly) running for us nervous Coyote types....
Will this be a fairy simple job for a DIY mechanic, i.e. order the kit & follow instructions, or go see my local pro?

we have a leak free system as of today , there are however a couple of questions we are mulling over and testing theories with over the next 24hrs and we will report back on those both to this cars owner and on here our findings

as with any development , one problem gets solved and another potentially arrives so we need to be sure we have covered all the possibilities before we get carried away

the goods news so far is that install is quite straight forward if we settle on the setup we have at present , its not beyond the DIYer but certainly much much easier with a proper workshop and easy access

cheers

markimarki
Name: mark

Postby markimarki » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am

Has anyone had anything other than the generic response from Ford UK yet? Im in conversation with Ford UK and they are keeping quiet :o :o :o :o :o

Mark

Bedford Muscle
Name: Amarjit

Postby Bedford Muscle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

I contacted my local dealership on Tuesday (evans halshaw). They stated they had no recorded incident, no information given to the dealership of any such issue nor any recall being in place.

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 pm

we have completed the install on the car we have had in the workshop this week and all is well

there are in fact 3 ways you can install the kit now although any of you keen to lose the OEM oil modine will only take option 3 which removes the OEM part entirely

we have tested the kit as best as humanly possible on the road and whilst in the workshop , the rest is down to the owner to see how he gets on during the coming days / weeks

from what we can see in normal everyday driving temps measured on oil , coolant , cyl head and intake all remain as normal , we have to assume that on spirted road or track use the front mounted oil cooler will do a better job than the OEM kit and with less chance of failure (if we believe the above)

if any one else is interested in having an aftermarket kit installed get in touch and we can talk thorough the options with you

any questions let me know

cheers

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

jwracing wrote:we have completed the install on the car we have had in the workshop this week and all is well

there are in fact 3 ways you can install the kit now although any of you keen to lose the OEM oil modine will only take option 3 which removes the OEM part entirely

we have tested the kit as best as humanly possible on the road and whilst in the workshop , the rest is down to the owner to see how he gets on during the coming days / weeks

from what we can see in normal everyday driving temps measured on oil , coolant , cyl head and intake all remain as normal , we have to assume that on spirted road or track use the front mounted oil cooler will do a better job than the OEM kit and with less chance of failure (if we believe the above)

if any one else is interested in having an aftermarket kit installed get in touch and we can talk thorough the options with you

any questions let me know

cheers

You guys da real MVPs... fuck ford :lol: :lol:

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 am

Manders Mustang wrote:
You guys da real MVPs... feck ford :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

we like to try and solve problems if we can , the real test is over the next few days

cheers

Garvin
Name: Garvin

Postby Garvin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:34 am

The Ford tech note refers to cars built before 26th July 2016 - what changes, if any, occurred after this date?

Return to “General Discussion”