Evil Photobucket.

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Evil Photobucket.

Postby badhand » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 pm

You may have noticed a lot of this going on in threads:

Well after 11 years of being able to host our photos in Photobucket, and link to this site, the evil Photobucket fascists have decided that you can't do that anymore and want me to pay $399 a year to link to '3rd party sites'.

It started with a few, but more and more pics are disappearing. It's like a plague or picture virus. The Hellraiser build thread is almost pic bare now. I'm sure a lot of historical stuff will be decimated too.

Now I'm sure this 3rd party thing has always been in the small print, but it browns me right off that they've just started implementing it now, after all these years.

As you may, or may not know, I pay for this site out of my own pockets (and the occasional very much appreciated donation). It's not a huge amount of money, but to keep costs to a minimum, I've been unable to offer pic hosting like the big sponsored and publication owned forums do, and Photobucket was a good option for us. Well, the ones who could figure it out anyway.

So apologies if your pics are falling off your threads, or you just wondered what was going on in others. I'm going to have to sort something out, but feel as if I'm being held over a barrel here and can't bring myself to hand over four hundred bucks to the bastards. Even if I thought it was worth it.

Nick

mattmoxon
Name: Matthew Moxon
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Re: Evil Photobucket.

Postby mattmoxon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 pm

My build thread and PPL thread is now dead as far as images are concerned. I have since deleted my account so there is no going back.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Photobucket is doomed. They've just held millions of people to ransom and killed billions of forum threads. People are angry. I hope they go bust as everyone deletes their accounts like you have, and I would if I could. I just tried exporting all my images, but PhotoFucket's Export Folder is not working now. Probably because EVERYONE is trying to do it in a mass 'Fuck You Photobucket' exodus...

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 am

ive gotta say I feel for both sides

we had the exact same problem on our website , needless to say as all the pics started falling off I paid up my $400 and now they are all good again

also tbh it makes the photobucket experience a little easier to sto0mach cos it seems to work better without all the annoying adverts etc

whats they should have done is attacked it in stages and seen who the worst culprits were , for years ive hosted images on my business sites and earned money from those so I can 100% see why PB feel ita about time they earnt something out of all those businesses like ours

on the other hand sites like this that serve people for free should be given at least a chance to argue their case before being picked on

my suggestion here is why not charge a small fee for the trades people on the website , all ends up , they all gain from earning a few £££ from being on the site , class them as sponsors and insist that anyone wanting to be a sponsor has to pay a flat fee per annum

if they refuse to pay they can be removed and aren't allowed to post their information and promote their wares

even if you don't have enough trade people at present to cover the full amount (depending on what you decide to charge) it will at least go towards it

you just need to be fair with any charge based on the size of the forum compared to others and potential revenue for advertisers

just my little idea

cheers

Jason :D

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 am

Good points Jason, but it's worse than that.

It's not just the forum's images that are disappearing. There are individuals who have their own personal photobucket accounts and use them to link to their own posts in their threads here and on multiple forums and other sites. To them $400 is one hell of a cost just to show their photos online. They're not going to stump that up, so what is happening is billions of photos are disappearing from sites all around the world. Avatars, banners plus any image on '3rd party' sites are literally falling off the pages everywhere.

Even if MFUK paid up the ransom, it would only affect the photos held on the old S197uk photobucket account, not anybody elses personal accounts. The forum would still be littered with holes where photos once were. Build threads are worthless now.

Justifying their move by citing bandwidth costs is unreasonable of Photobucket as they already make money by plastering their bloody pages with paid ads or charging for the option of removing them. Obviously not enough.

It's undoubtedly a f@cked business model, but it's more f@cked now. I'm not going to pay Photof@ckit anything right now as there's no guarantee they will be around much longer. Word on the interweb is they won't.

I'm looking into alternative image hosting services where you post pics in-thread like the big sites, but don't think I'm going to be able to afford it without sponsorship.

I'm hopping mad me. :evil:

JohnnyRevPants
Name: David
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby JohnnyRevPants » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 pm

There is no way on the earth I will pay photobucket any effin money.

They drew people in with the whole 'free hosting' malarky, pumped their business up like many with the whole 'millions of users' and then suddenly it's 'now you have loaded everything-pay us'. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

I done with poobucket. Cancelled my account and like Badhand said, I hope they go bust. Will serve as a lesson as they do a Ratner.

Return to “General Discussion”