Any detailers out there?

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
RATHR9
Name: Bob
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Any detailers out there?

Postby RATHR9 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Evening gents,

I've got a 2016 all black convertible. It came with the diamond brite protection as it was an ex demo. It looks good and comes up a treat with a standard wash and chamois, but I want to use a more effective detailing regime. My previous car was a Chrysler 300 srt8 and the products I have are,
Zymol or Ag shampoo
Megs clay system
AG super resin polish
Megs 7 and 21
AG high def wax
Question is how would these work with Ford paint and would anyone like to suggest alternative products to save me time experimenting.
Cheers
Bob

Ant379
Name: Anthony
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: Any detailers out there?

Postby Ant379 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:50 am

Hi, Bob

I had a ceramic and hydrophobic coating applied by Gtechniq.

I also use Gtechniq products only in a standard wash - and exterior wash takes me 1.5 - 2 hours doing it properly.

That includes :
Wheels
Snow foam
Wash
Rinse
Dry
Quick detail
Wheel lipstick
Plastic trim
Metal polish on the exhausts

Word of advice, don't use Chamois leather on the paint work. This can create scratches from microscopic grime still on the car. These are much better, one towel cleans the car :
http://www.ribblevalleyautotech.com/sto ... ing-towel/

Also use a different wash mit for the wheels / tyres to the paint.

I have done this for 9 months and the car is like new, I only have 2 hair line scratches (that I believe ford did when fixing the window).
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... d_578.html

Apart from the chips on the front, And two airline scratches, my car is immaculate and fit for car shows

Sorry if I have taught you to suck eggs but you did ask :)

A

RATHR9
Name: Bob
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby RATHR9 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Cheers Ant, some good info there, especially about the chamois. Mine was a demonstrator for six months before I got it and I don't think they paid much attention to the paintwork, which felt very "rough" claying has helped that a lot.

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I suppose it is the evolution of care car. Maybe recommend getting a professional polish job done (if you can't yourself) and if the paintwork will bug you.

I never take my car to the Eastern European car washers - much to my fiancé's annoyance but I actually enjoy cleaning it.

I have attached some photos of my car after it has been washed earlier today.

Also, another tip, use an open ended hose pipe to rinse the car down. It makes it so much easier to dry.

A

Ant379

Postby Ant379 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Try again

Chillicat
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby Chillicat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:23 pm

I know this will be viewed as heresy by many out there.
I picked up my Race Red Fastback from the dealer on Friday and the paintwork as standard looked immaculate. I took it through the local IMO car wash and had the pro shield treatment applied, looked even better! My son has used the same car wash monthly for 2 years on his Fiesta and the paintwork looks great. Don't hate me but it's quick convenient and seems to work!

Return to “General Discussion”