Tyres/Alloys

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Jayfm
Name: james ferns
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Tyres/Alloys

Postby Jayfm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi,

I test drove a mustang a little while back and the traction didn't impress me one bit, I got feedback at the time and it was mainly due to the stock tyres. I know I can upgrade to the Michelin pilots but really want to go up a size as well, this would meaning changing the alloys, can anyone recommended where I can get the alloys and tyres and what size is the next step up from stock ? Maybe someone has increased size and could tell me the alloy/tyre sizes I need to look for, and of course what difference overall it made.

Regards,

Jamie

himleiwolf
Name: Chris

Re: Tyres/Alloys

Postby himleiwolf » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Jayfm wrote:Hi,

I test drove a mustang a little while back and the traction didn't impress me one bit, I got feedback at the time and it was mainly due to the stock tyres. I know I can upgrade to the Michelin pilots but really want to go up a size as well, this would meaning changing the alloys, can anyone recommended where I can get the alloys and tyres and what size is the next step up from stock ? Maybe someone has increased size and could tell me the alloy/tyre sizes I need to look for, and of course what difference overall it made.

Regards,

Jamie

Hi,

The stock tyres are pretty poor under 7 degrees and in the wet or winter conditions but I have recently changed mine to a set of Pirelli Winters (Sottozero) and the difference is like chalk and cheese. The car now handles well and you can drive with confidence although you would obviously not push too hard

Jayfm
Name: james ferns

Postby Jayfm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:21 pm

What I can't understand is the is the Pirelli stock tyres get great reviews from numerous sites, the MPS come out a little better but not by much, I guess this makes a difference or maybe I should consider winter tyres all year round... what's the difference between the winter designed tyre and the summer, is it purely down to a better grip on wet/cold conditions ? if so living in britain we might as well just run the winter tyre all year round.

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby cati » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:27 am

Mpss are a million miles better than the stock pirelli.... i think you might be confusing other Pirelli sport tyres with what passes as stock

Number one recommendation is to bin the stock tyres they are only fit for burnouts

If you cant stretch to mpss then go for Toyo - great tyres

Bluestang
Name: Bill

Postby Bluestang » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:32 pm

I selected wet/snow mode the other day in greasy conditions and it certainly made quite a difference although as mooted the Pirellis don't seem the best unfortunately.

himleiwolf
Name: Chris

Postby himleiwolf » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I recently had a session on a skid pan and spoke to the instructors on the subject of winter tyres. Normal tyres start to loose effectiveness at around 7 degrees as the compound that they are manufactured from starts to loose some of their "stickiness" at low temperatures. Not only do winter tyres have bigger and better tread patterns that are designed to move more water, the compound that they are manufactured from is much softer (due to a higher silica content) and so holds the road more effectively at lower temperatures.

I am told that in parts of Europe it is a legal requirement to run winter tyres although I would guess this in countries where they have particularly harsh winters on a regular basis and I can only speak from my own experience that now I have changed, the car handles really well

It should be pointed out that if you are considering swapping then all advice that I have read states that all 4 tyres should be changed not just the rears and that the summer tyres need to be properly stored.

MusTee
Name: Johnny

Postby MusTee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:06 am

I've seen some people using Nitto and pair it with another tyre brand. Anyone here who has tried to do the same?

Ant379
Name: Anthony

Postby Ant379 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 am

Himleiwolf,

What do you mean summer tyres have to be stored correctly?

Wouldn’t being stacked up in a garage be sufficient ?

I have been thinking of getting winter tyres but to save on keep changing them from the alloys, I would get a fresh set of alloys and store the winters tyres in the garage on their alloys in summer ?!?

Huffy
Year Of Mustang: 2000

Postby Huffy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

What do you mean summer tyres have to be stored correctly?

Wouldn’t being stacked up in a garage be sufficient ?

I have been thinking of getting winter tyres but to save on keep changing them from the alloys, I would get a fresh set of alloys and store the winters tyres in the garage on their alloys in summer ?!?

I have been doing this for a few years now for my BMW - I keep mine on something similar to this https://www.rapidonline.com/Sealey-STR0 ... gJPQPD_BwE
but without the castors. It also came with a dust cover. I generally leave about 20 PSI of air in them and wash and dry them before I store them. You should keep them out of direct sunlight and much the same as storing a car if the wheels aren't off the ground it would pay to turn them every so often.

TimG
Name: Tim Grundey

Postby TimG » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 am

I have another set of standard alloys with Nokian WR A4 winter tyres fitted, they are excellent giving much more confidence in winter conditions. The tyre supplier used their own TPMS sensors reading the codes off the existing set & calibrating accordingly. Mark with corner when swapping over.
I wash them before storing horizontally off the ground stacked in the dark.

Tim

Return to “General Discussion”