Rear end slip on roundabouts

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
Forum rules
Ant379
Name: Anthony
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: Rear end slip on roundabouts

Postby Ant379 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:42 am

No, I think that is a little irresponsible. I used mine in September when I got the car on warm Autumn nights.

I dont think I could leave it in race all the time. Especially with the Kids in the car.

A

Harley103
Name: Alex
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Harley103 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Its basically the same as driving any car before traction control and ESP was invented. You are in control and its a simple as that. Clearly traction control and ESP are good things, but part of the problem with them is people use them instead of treating the road conditions and level of grip with respect.

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve

Postby Manders Mustang » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Harley103 wrote:Its basically the same as driving any car before traction control and ESP was invented. You are in control and its a simple as that. Clearly traction control and ESP are good things, but part of the problem with them is people use them instead of treating the road conditions and level of grip with respect.

im 22, I've always had ABS, PAS etc.... ;)! I drove the test car in 'race' on the track when we did Silverstone, was p1ssing it down and the car span out a few times. But haven't tried it in the dry on the road. Drove a friends GT and he was trying to get me to put it in Race, last thing I wanted was responsibility for ruining his car lol

rovership
Name: Richard Inge

Postby rovership » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:27 pm

I drive a TVR Tuscan, no traction control, no ABSs and no airbags. Weighs about 1100kgs 380BHP
You just have to learn to be gentle with it especially on a wet roundabout or wet leaves, ice in the winter. Even when overtaking on the straight, just don't be an idiot with the throttle. :D

cati
Name: Cati

Postby cati » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Sorry to pitch up late been in ze fatherland avoiding the gestapo on New Year's Eve japes

Tryes - yes mpss good choice

Type hop - go for the BMR rear lock out cradle and then if still an issue the rear diff bushings.

Back end problems - go find a car park and hoon about or go on a driving day at an old airfield. The mustang is pretty tame unless you really push it. Most of the right off or accidents I have heard about on or seen on this and other forums have been due to heavy right feet. The car does let you know when it gets tasty... but as the TVR gentlemen said 400 bhp and lots of torques needs a bit of respect

redsally
Name: Graeme

Postby redsally » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Hey guys, I'm a newbe to this forum and any other form of a forum... I've read this thread for the sole reason that I put my 8 month old Ecoboost into a barrier this evening.....
Like many of you have mentioned that you lost the rear end with not much effort from your side, I too experienced this on 3 occasions earlier in the year. My respect for the road and car increased exponentially and remains that way. Its everyday car I take to work, already 9kon the clock. However tonight I casually accelerated up a slight incline, 4th gear, about 45-50mph, 2500rpm ish, and WAM I was sideways facing the barrier on my right. I regained control of the car once I bounced off the barrier hitting the front bumper and rear bumper. Both my far side alloys are ruined, with down to metal/plastic scuff marks on the front and rear bumpers.(Not a happy man right now)
Here is my question/concern. Is my traction control working correctly or at all? Was there just too much torque in the rear? where did I go wrong? You've mentioned tyres and I have the p-zero's, but I cant help thinking that at such low rpm and the reasonable speed, why didn't the traction control stop the slipping of the one wheel and braking of the other, why didn't the traction control light ie: slippery road indication come on during my slide?
Oh while I'm at it, I'm in the market for 2 standard black alloys 5x2 spoke.
Any positive feed back will be greatly appreciated. I'm really quite nervous to drive this car now although I still love it to bits and dented pieces. :cry:

Harley103
Name: Alex

Postby Harley103 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your car, can't imagine a worse feeling.

First, is 2500rpm about the point the turbo kicks in? Could explain a sudden kick out. Im not an ecoboost driver though so I'm not sure.

The reason I ditched my p-zeros sharpish is they really were leathal in the cool or damp and after several very scary close calls I was starting to get scared of my own car. Changed to MPSS, hurricane Katrina won't get my foot off the gas now. The tyres really let you know when they're getting to the limit of grip.

I've never really seen my traction control light come on, ever. It's certainly there.

donkey_power
Name: Jon
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Postby donkey_power » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 pm

redsally, Sorry about your car. My car came with the original tyres which I could spin quite easily without much effort, even in the dry! Its amazing what difference they can make. Not sure why you span so easily though.

I'd start a new thread about the wanted alloys, theres plenty of people replaced the originals. :)

Garvin
Name: Garvin

Postby Garvin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 am

Redsally, you have my commiserations and hope you get your 'stang back in fine fettle soon. Regarding car control etc it is nigh on impossible to diagnose what went wrong on an Internet forum but there are some basics to consider.

Firstly, if it is riding on Pirellis these, IMHO, are not good tyres - I removed perfectly good Pirellis from my F355 and fitted Michelin Pilot Supersports all round - really, really excellent tyre now superseded by the Pilot 4S (if they do the correct size).

As for the traction control are you sure it was switched on i.e. you didn't have the car in another driving mode?

Are you sure the road surface was OK, I have slid before now on diesel spilt on the road surface and it is as slippery as black ice.

If the above check out OK then traction control/stability control cannot defy the laws of physics! If you failed to make steering correction quickly enough then once the rear tyres have lost traction and are effectively sliding sideways then no amount of steering/braking can usually save the day - witness F1 drivers who still manage to spin cars with all their skill! There are also plenty of videos on the 'net where modern cars with traction control/stability control et al still manage to spin out of control.

The natural reaction to the rear end stepping out is to come completely off the throttle. This just induces 'lift off oversteer' in rear wheel drive cars as the deceleration pitches the car forward lightening the load on the rear tyres and exacerbating the rear end breakaway and loss of control.

If you are inexperienced in driving powerful rear wheel drive cars, and many are as they have 'grown up' on a diet of various front wheel drive cars, then I would highly recommend getting yourself on a high performance driving course. This is not a track experience entertainment day but a course where highly skilled driving instructors will teach you how to drive quickly but safely some including time on skid pans. Expensive, yes but I have done a few of these and have learnt an incredible amount.

Shadow Pony

Postby Shadow Pony » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Ant379 wrote:No, I think that is a little irresponsible. I used mine in September when I got the car on warm Autumn nights.

I dont think I could leave it in race all the time. Especially with the Kids in the car.

A

Sorry to hear about your incident but it sounds like you can sort out the repairs pretty easily thankfully. Think we have got to a custom to German cars hugging the road, I had a Quattro and you could just floor that all the time. The Stang you do have to be aware . I have mentioned before my brother in law owned a Porche 928 in the 80 s and he was a natural when driving my stang , he thrived on wheel hop and back shuffle the fecker .

I was turning right at the traffic lights the other day and did a 1/4 doughnut if that makes you feel better .

The MPSS are the way forward for sure , had them on a 996 and they were flipping amazing. P Zero is normally a good tyre but I think they are the summer ones and not suited for our damp winter conditions. Could even be a budget version for Flatrock assembly.

Shadow Pony

Postby Shadow Pony » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 pm

I don't think this guy has a problem loosing the back end on his CTR RUF Yellow bird maybe he can give us some lessons ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ

Return to “General Discussion”