MFUK Project car 'Hellraiser' - The build thread.

Like it says, the area to discuss general topics which are not related to other forums.
badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: MFUK Project car 'Hellraiser' - The build thread.

Postby badhand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

Wasn't Gibbo, it was Centurion07. Still a nice chap! Picked up the discs at the Newlands Corner meet on Sunday. Thanks man!

Been thinking about the tunnel, and seeing as Nic has upgraded his rear valance on his S550, I figured we could cannibalise the old one and incorporate of bit of 6th Gen exterior at the rear of the '69 body. So i knocked up some roughs to see if it works and there's some immediate number plate issues...

Not sure which version I prefer. Thoughts?

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby Manders Mustang » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:26 am

Picture on the right I prefer, as for the Numberplate, I think there's a legal loop hole where you can just get it put on one of those 3m stickers and stick it whereever, Plates will look sh1t regardless of the car it's on. The on picture 2 instead of having the plate cut up that bumper like, just stick it on there, ugly, but legally works. (i think)

Ah yeah, Centurion, Tony's a nice chap, met him up in Burton when he was traveling up to Scotland with Kristian and Steve :rock

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:54 am

Manders Mustang wrote:Picture on the right I prefer, as for the Numberplate, I think there's a legal loop hole where you can just get it put on one of those 3m stickers and stick it whereever, Plates will look sh1t regardless of the car it's on. The on picture 2 instead of having the plate cut up that bumper like, just stick it on there, ugly, but legally works. (i think)

Ah yeah, Centurion, Tony's a nice chap, met him up in Burton when he was traveling up to Scotland with Kristian and Steve :rock

Don't think those sticker plates are either a) completely legal or b) very nice. Especially curved around the angle of the bumper.

No, unfortunately, we all have to live with sh1t looking plates. Doesn't bother me really as long as they're tidy. No the loophole here, is with imports, where the law allows you to run smaller 6 x 12 plates when the stock licence plate aperture won't accommodate a UK standard shape plate. Note how the worldwide S550 has a wider space to suit global requirements whereas the previous US only S197 didn't:

The picture on the right shows the standard bumper for the '69 which has a cut out to specifically hold a 6 x 12 plate, whereas picture on the left shows a modified bumper. So if we use the stocker, we should be cool to run small plates. Much better than losing the badge/filler and modding the bumper just to a dirty great UK plate across the whole deck lid.

It's all academic until registration time anyway. And still no idea what to do up front...

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Sto n show style upront?

There's loads of legal plate sizes in the UK I though that 'square' plates were legal (that'd fit picture 2 on the right)?

Yeha i wouldn't want to lose the badge and lines etc.

Any legalities to sticking it to the back of your window or something?

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Sto n show might er... show, when tucked, with the splitter as is. But that's a consideration fo shiz.

Square plates are UK legal (see Land Rover et al) but not that size. Cap height of the font needs to be smaller than the 79mm specified to fit on a 6x12. :)

The bumper is cut to hold it centrally under there, so it makes more sense to leave than to change.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Maybe we'll just create a big lower grill and mount the plate on that like on Hell Yeah... :D

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:07 am

Some of you who follow Hellraiser on FB, Instagram and DriveTribe will have seen we moved the car on Friday to its new temporary home. Its no fun loading a car with no steering or brakes but it went surprisingly smoothly. Hope it's an Omen.

Anyway, the build is going to get going next week and I'll have more updates of actual progress and interesting stuff rather than plans and drawings and guff chat. Onwards and upwards!

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Sponsors!

Stoked to announce that Hellraiser Mustang build is now sponsored by Steeda UK and Stage 3 Motorsports in the US. BIG Thanks to Robbie at Steeda UK and Mark at Stage 3 for having faith in us. And supplying their excellent product of course! That's on top of the help we've had already from Mike Lacey at Modurstang, Mike Allan at American Muscle and Ron Fenton at STS Imports. And obviously not forgetting the Spanner Monkey!!! Thanks guys.

http://www.steeda.co.uk/
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/
http://www.modurstang.co.uk/
http://www.american-muscle.co.uk
http://www.stsimports.co.uk

If any other of our lovely suppliers are interested in parts or services sponsorship, hit me up! We're pushing 10K views on this thread and not even started the build properly. Although I'll have some news on that soon... We've got FB, Instagram and DriveTribe pages going too.

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Nice work on the sponsors, and nice work on the sponsors, sponsoring what will be one of the UK's baddest 'stangs ;)!

P.s gave you a follow on fb!

Steeda UK
Name: Robbie
Year Of Mustang: 1972

Postby Steeda UK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 am

We are looking forward to developments!

Good luck...

Mark@stage3
Name: Mark
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby Mark@stage3 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 pm

badhand wrote:Sponsors!

Stoked to announce that Hellraiser Mustang build is now sponsored by Steeda UK and Stage 3 Motorsports in the US. BIG Thanks to Robbie at Steeda UK and Mark at Stage 3 for having faith in us. And supplying their excellent product of course! That's on top of the help we've had already from Mike Lacey at Modurstang, Mike Allan at American Muscle and Ron Fenton at STS Imports. And obviously not forgetting the Spanner Monkey!!! Thanks guys.

http://www.steeda.co.uk/
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/
http://www.modurstang.co.uk/
http://www.american-muscle.co.uk
http://www.stsimports.co.uk

If any other of our lovely suppliers are interested in parts or services sponsorship, hit me up! We're pushing 10K views on this thread and not even started the build properly. Although I'll have some news on that soon... We've got FB, Instagram and DriveTribe pages going too.

Faith is a bit of a strong word...morbid curiosity maybe?!?! J/K Nick...can't wait to see this beast making some noise!!

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Bit of rattlecan RAL colour paint exploration at weekend... Trying out body and cage options.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Been hard at working stuff out. 2 days just measuring stuff. We now reckon we know how we can fit the IRS assembly and the huge 12" wide 18s in there. Chassis is now supported on on blocks to give us an idea of ride height and work out all the dimensions. It's not quite the ideal 4" we'd hoped for but that's probably just as well for a street car. It's 5" at the back, raking to 4.75 up front. We plan to use adjustable shocks so can dial her in for track work hopefully.

From the way she's sitting now, we'll need to tub it and the flares are going to be at least 4". You can't really see from the pic, but I reckon this is sitting nicely.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 pm

I swang by the secret workshop this afternoon. The IRS subframe is tacked in place, which makes me very happy. Hopefully you can see from the pic and sketches how it will fit into the existing frame once the cross members are cut in.

badhand
Site Admin

Postby badhand » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Well more developments. And as this thread hits over 13K views!

Hmmm... With the rear subframe in position and a 19" rim and a block of wood, we worked out how our 18" wheels would sit once we'd dropped the car to our ride height. Which will be 3-degrees of camber.

So we now have two options:
1. Raise the subframe.
2. Use Steeda adjustable camber arms.

Option 1 is a massive pain in the arse as we'll need to seriously modify the chassis rails to accommodate the upwards move. See second photo. The cradle will interfere with the rails, so we'd need to cut them out and brace the top significantly. Apart from the hassle, it'll look butt ugly. Another potential hassle, is the raised height of the assembly will position the prop shaft at an angle which will hit our prop tunnel. Whilst not overcome-able, it's more work constructing a new one and faffing about.

Option 2, is a phone call to Steeda... Tough decision!

Steeda Autosports @steeda @steedaautosports #Steeda

Return to “General Discussion”