WANTED - S197 Mustang, 1st time Mustang owner.

Forum rules
disasterbus
Name: Kerry
Year Of Mustang: 2008

WANTED - S197 Mustang, 1st time Mustang owner.

Postby disasterbus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Right, I've had the urge to own an S197 Mustang for a while and it isn't going away so I may as well just give in to it and get one :lol:

I just agreed a sale on my last 'fun car' - a 1964 Chevy Pick Up which you may have seen a for sale thread for on this forum. Hopefully if all goes to plan it will go to it's new owner within a week leaving a Mustang sized space on my driveway and some cash in my pocket.

So, I'm after two things from you good people -

1) Any advice for a first time Mustang owner on what to look out for, and what to avoid.

2) Any leads on a Mustang that might fit my needs or links to ads for cars you know, which you know are half decent.

Budget is somewhere between £10k and £16k and ideally I want a V8 car with manual transmission, ideally in a colour that's as loud as the car is. 8-)
Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you!

bigkeeko
Name: Barry Scott
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Re: WANTED - S197 Mustang, 1st time Mustang owner.

Postby bigkeeko » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 am

Regardless of what you buy matey, i`ll say this.

Stick to your guns and if you want a manual buy a manual. Don`t let anyone tell you autos are cool or you`ll get used to them. You don`t want one so don`t compromise.
Something I've learned when looking for a specific car in a specific condition is you have to be willing to travel for it. Kinda self explanatory and I know you don`t fit this bill but what might help others is this. I can`t understand people saying `must be within 50 miles of blah blah blah`. Mustangs are rare cars in the UK and in spite of a forum where we see loads the chances are (meets aside) in an average year you`ll never see another bar your own so what hope is there finding one in your local town?
Avoid cars with electrical issues like the plague. Worn tyres are replaceable and a straight forward fix but I`ve seen heartache threads on electrical woes that I couldn`t handle thanks to botched IVA jobs. These usually end up costing a fortune to repair.
A lot are low mileage as a lot are 2nd or 3rd cars and as such don`t get used daily so you won`t need to buy a high miler even though they can handle high miles (but why would you?)
Avoid poorly modified cars. The mustang must be the most widely modified car on the planet and without hurting anyone`s feelings one mans `pride and joy` is another mans dogs dinner and there`s plenty of those as well. The last thing you want is someone else`s ballache.
Apparently the headlights are supposed to be a bit `poop` but I have factory optional HIDs so mine are pretty bright.
Generally they`re tough cars and minor issues are sometimes made out to be huge but most stuff can be fixed without financial pain. That`s why I keep buying American (barn door engineering) and haven`t yet got round to a 911T :lol:

You`ve had a few cars and know the score so go in eyes open and you`ll know if it`s a good `un or a dog.

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 am

Should be able to pick up something very nice for your price range too.

Like bigkeeko says, avoid bodged electric jobs like the plague, but your price range points towards earlier cars which should have been sorted by now. Still, have a look at the obvious wiring to see if it's tidy. No proof but an indication someone has used a pro or similar.

And as he says, the Mustang is a modder's car so you're likely to find any examples have had the wheels, springs and zorsts done at least. So have an idea what you'd like to do to yours but don't let a bobbins set of rims put you off a car. For the 10 to 16K you could end up with a tidy blown motor...

Good luck. I envy you! :rock

disasterbus
Name: Kerry
Year Of Mustang: 2008

Postby disasterbus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 pm

thanks guys - no doubt good advice and I'm grateful for it. My old Chevy went today so there is now a Mustang shaped space on my driveway. Time to start look properly - what's out there then? 8-)

bigkeeko
Name: Barry Scott
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Postby bigkeeko » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:46 pm

:pray Image

Return to “Wanted”