importing from France

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Forum rules
woodyy2kuk
Name: kirsty
Year Of Mustang: 1972

importing from France

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi all,

finding the car I want is hard in the UK. Looking further afield and a lot are coming up in France. Has anyone imported one from France or has any advice that would be helpful. Is there any test it needs to under go to be UK registered, I think as its in the EU it should be fine but what to check!!
Thanks all...........

LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Re: importing from France

Postby LV51FER » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm not sure, to be honest. I assume that since it has been registered in Europe, the French authorities must have seen proof of payment of duties so you may be OK there but I don't know whether registering it here would still require an IVA certificate because who knows what the requirements are in France for cars under 10 years old.

When you register a US import here, they want to see a certificate duties have been paid and an IVA if the car is under 10. I think you'll not need the duty as it is re-registering an EU car but, just as you'd need an MOT to register it here, because it's under 10, I can't see how you will get round the IVA certificate.

Obviously, if the required mods have been done to EU standards, it should technically be a simple case to pass an IVA test but it costs about £150.

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 pm

LV51FER wrote:I'm not sure, to be honest. I assume that since it has been registered in Europe, the French authorities must have seen proof of payment of duties so you may be OK there but I don't know whether registering it here would still require an IVA certificate because who knows what the requirements are in France for cars under 10 years old.

When you register a US import here, they want to see a certificate duties have been paid and an IVA if the car is under 10. I think you'll not need the duty as it is re-registering an EU car but, just as you'd need an MOT to register it here, because it's under 10, I can't see how you will get round the IVA certificate.

Obviously, if the required mods have been done to EU standards, it should technically be a simple case to pass an IVA test but it costs about £150.

thanks for the info, it just seems there is more choose if I look further and if I stay in the EU hopefully the test will be straight forward

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm sure Herv or Vincent, our French members, or Trevor who knows the import biz backwards will answer soon.

But bear in mind though, due to the Euro/Pound rate at the moment, your Frenchy will get a much better deal shopping here than you will buying in France... A lot of our cars go there. Not heard of many coming this way.

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:35 pm

badhand wrote:I'm sure Herv or Vincent, our French members, or Trevor who knows the import biz backwards will answer soon.

But bear in mind though, due to the Euro/Pound rate at the moment, your Frenchy will get a much better deal shopping here than you will buying in France... A lot of our cars go there. Not heard of many coming this way.

thanks for info , just seems there is more in the EU for sale with the sort of thing im looking for. no one wants to give the convertibles up now the sun is out hahaha

andyman
Name: Andy
Year Of Mustang: 2004

Postby andyman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 pm

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 pm

yeah I am tempted. and I could part chop mine!!

Geoff Watts
Name: Geoff

Postby Geoff Watts » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 pm

badhand wrote:I'm sure Herv or Vincent, our French members, or Trevor who knows the import biz backwards will answer soon.

I know when my '05 went to France the dealer said that as Mustangs don't have a EU Certificate of Conformity they have to go through a very costly IVA type test regardless of having being registered and legal in the UK. He said almost everything had to be to original spec like exhaust, suspension etc.

Same probably applies if a French registered Mustang comes here.

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Geoff Watts wrote:

I know when my '05 went to France the dealer said that as Mustangs don't have a EU Certificate of Conformity they have to go through a very costly IVA type test regardless of having being registered and legal in the UK. He said almost everything had to be to original spec like exhaust, suspension etc.

Same probably applies if a French registered Mustang comes here.

thanks for the info if that's the case I will sit tight as I really don't want to have to spend out on tests if I don't have to

Vincent
Name: Vincent
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby Vincent » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm not an expert but as my pony is coming from UK, i can tell you that :

- Lights modification are the same (orange turn signal, rear fog light etc...)
- We have to pass threw the UTAC and the point is the noise of the exhaust .

BUT that doesn't mean you won't have to pass again the UK tests to get you license plate...

another fact is that , when I was looking after mine, I founded prices lower in UK than in France, even with the homologation process cost in france, so i suppose the custom taxes are lower in UK than in France .

Hope this helps

sonicbloo
Name: paul
Year Of Mustang: 2003

Postby sonicbloo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:44 pm

I don't think you'll find one in the UK or even Europe to your perfect spec anytime soon unless you get very lucky. I don't recall seeing a white GT ragtop in the UK, which is strange as you see earlier model Mustangs in white all the time.

What about looking to the USA? I bought my blue 2003 Mustang sight unseen from Texas, after getting a 3rd party inspection done.

Autotrader (USA) has a few white manual GT's for sale. If you go on the website you can do specific searches for your desired car (model/year/transmission/engine/colour etc) I use my Aunties zip code of 22041 (fallschurch, virginia) and do a 'national' search similar to our Autotrader site.

The 05-09 'stangs are really holding value, but I've found you a beauty here for under $20k, so I reckon it could be sat on your drive road legal for around £19,000 in around 6-8 weeks.....................

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... x=22&Log=0

PS You don't live in Ryde do you? My cousin lives there and has just opened a barber's shop - no wonder I like ragtops with all the hairdressers in my family :D
Last edited by sonicbloo on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Vincent wrote:Hi, I'm not an expert but as my pony is coming from UK, i can tell you that :

- Lights modification are the same (orange turn signal, rear fog light etc...)
- We have to pass threw the UTAC and the point is the noise of the exhaust .

BUT that doesn't mean you won't have to pass again the UK tests to get you license plate...

another fact is that , when I was looking after mine, I founded prices lower in UK than in France, even with the homologation process cost in france, so i suppose the custom taxes are lower in UK than in France .

Hope this helps

thanks Vincent gives me the heads up just gathering info to see which way is best

Spurs
Name: James
Year Of Mustang: 2006

Postby Spurs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 pm

sonicbloo wrote:I don't think you'll find one in the UK or even Europe to your perfect spec anytime soon unless you get very lucky. I don't recall seeing a white GT ragtop in the UK, which is strange as you see earlier model Mustangs in white all the time

So it makes mine even rarer!! I did not think I had seen another White Vert S197 in the UK. Makes me not want to sell.... but I have to unfortunately!

woodyy2kuk

Postby woodyy2kuk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Spurs wrote:
sonicbloo wrote:I don't think you'll find one in the UK or even Europe to your perfect spec anytime soon unless you get very lucky. I don't recall seeing a white GT ragtop in the UK, which is strange as you see earlier model Mustangs in white all the time

So it makes mine even rarer!! I did not think I had seen another White Vert S197 in the UK. Makes me not want to sell.... but I have to unfortunately!

if I had the cash I would buy your one. Might have to go down the route of buying one that's a different colour and getting it all resprayed coz they are proper sexy in white with the black roof :D

LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Postby LV51FER » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Are they? :(

Return to “Import/Export”