Advice wanted on Moaners - US military

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Forum rules
LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Advice wanted on Moaners - US military

Postby LV51FER » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:21 pm

stanielz
Name: stalling duenas
Year Of Mustang: 1971

Re: Advice wanted on Moaners - US military

Postby stanielz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 pm

LV51FER wrote:http://www.Moaners.net/forums/showthread.php?53799-Going-to-the-UK-questions

Thank you for posting, im registered here now. For those that are too lazy to click, this was my post.

I'm the owner of a 2012 mustang gt premium 6 speed manual. Its highly modified with a vortech supercharger and it makes 600+ horsepower at the wheels. I have a couple of questions for you guys. I'm in the united states military and im being moved there this summer. They will pay for 1 vehicle transfer

Do you guys know of a website that sells some conversion kits or something where i dont have to drill into my body panels for the lights?

Someone said that if the vehicle is less that 3 years old, it doesn't need to do a MOT inspection until the 3 years have passed, is this true?

I have no cats, so i'll have to get some and activate my 02 sensors. Any other tips you guys have would be great.

Twin Turbo
Site Admin
Name: Paul - Admin

Postby Twin Turbo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Welcome......glad you finally made it in.........and apologies for the hassle!

With regards the side repeaters, and not wanting to drill into your bodywork, here's the neatest solution I've seen:

Available from these guys http://www.teslaynengineering.co.uk/amc ... SMF3.shtml

Roo (from Newport Imports) uses a similar system, so hopefully he'll be able to add to this thread, and also confirm the MOT requirement. The IVA seems to be a tougher test, but that's just the one-off.

Oh, and that's one gorgeous Stang. Where will you be based over here?

stanielz

Postby stanielz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Twin Turbo wrote:Welcome......glad you finally made it in.........and apologies for the hassle!

With regards the side repeaters, and not wanting to drill into your bodywork, here's the neatest solution I've seen:

Available from these guys http://www.teslaynengineering.co.uk/amc ... SMF3.shtml

Roo (from Newport Imports) uses a similar system, so hopefully he'll be able to add to this thread, and also confirm the MOT requirement. The IVA seems to be a tougher test, but that's just the one-off.

Oh, and that's one gorgeous Stang. Where will you be based over here?

I'll be based in mildenhall by this summer. Thanks, i love this car, even with the outrages UK insurance quote i got lol. if the MOT 3 year rule exemption thing is true, it could save me a lot of hassle.

Will i need an IVA test too? i thought it was just MOT. That looks like a solid solution for the repeaters. Is the lighting conversion easier to do once im over there? People here wouldn't know whats required or how to wire it exactly.

Twin Turbo
Site Admin

Postby Twin Turbo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Yes, IVA is your first test...........that's the Individual Vehicle Approval test required for imported cars. It's similar to the MOT, but they will get the ruler out for things such as fog light height etc. MOT is then required once a car reaches 3 years of age.....and is then annual. The IVA is a one-off.

I'd advise getting the lighting conversion done over here. There's a fella on Moaners (NMH - or Nick's his real name!) and it'd be worth contacting him. He's done plenty of conversions already.

andyman
Name: Andy
Year Of Mustang: 2004

Postby andyman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Please use one of the companys mentioned above, they are not local to mildenhall but they are not that far away.
Could save you time and money in the long run

grahamngillian
Name: Graham
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby grahamngillian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 pm

stanielz wrote: Is the lighting conversion easier to do once im over there? People here wouldn't know whats required or how to wire it exactly.

Someone will know:
Is Dave Knight (ex Atlantic) still working out of Luton, he knows what he is doing around Stang lights. That would be a good bet given he is only 60 miles to Mildenhall............I know you southern lot think 10.5 miles is a long way to travel but our new friend here is an Amercan and likely not scared of driving more than than 5 minutes from the house.

stanielz

Postby stanielz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm

grahamngillian wrote:Someone will know:
Is Dave Knight (ex Atlantic) still working out of Luton, he knows what he is doing around Stang lights. That would be a good bet given he is only 60 miles to Mildenhall............I know you southern lot think 10.5 miles is a long way to travel but our new friend here is an Amercan and likely not scared of driving more than than 5 minutes from the house.

haha, no 60 miles isnt bad at all. I didnt know you guys disliked driving far. Road trips are the best, open road, just you and your car :P.

I will definitely refer back to this thread when im there and try to look up these contacts.

grahamngillian
Name: Graham
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby grahamngillian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 pm

stanielz wrote:.........I didnt know you guys disliked driving far.

Only the ones South of the Watford Gap, those to the North or far west don't mind driving........ :D :D :D

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 pm

stanielz wrote:haha, no 60 miles isnt bad at all. I didnt know you guys disliked driving far.

Dude. Wait til you get here. This is a tiny little country with a shit load of people in it. Every one of them has at least four cars and they're all out on the road when you are. There is NO SUCH THING as an open road here. And if you're in Mildenhall, you've got the worst kind of retarded tractor driving fuckwits on the planet clogging up your roads.

Welcome aboard anyways. Glad TT let you in! And nice motor. :rock

Twin Turbo
Site Admin

Postby Twin Turbo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 am

badhand wrote:
stanielz wrote:. There is NO SUCH THING as an open road here.

Not quite true.............the real problem is you have to drive hundreds of miles to find those elusive open roads :lol:

You'll soon see I have a reputation for not driving mine much. Mine's a sunny weekend toy................it's just a pity we only get 2 sunny weekends a year in the UK :P

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 am

In respect of the IVA test, it is the equivalent of type approval so it's tough. Most American cars get it easy because they have passed the FMVSS tests in the US which the test accepts. However, once you modify, all that goes straight out of the window and they bring on the fine toothcomb which can even extend to whether the tyres (tires to you) are original.

This is why it's way harder to get a car through the test once modified. There is no dB rating for the MOT but there may well be for the IVA. IVA test applies to any car under 10 years old. Only after that is it MOT only.

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Postby cati » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:10 am

Fuck me Wayne being helpful. Are the meds kicking in

There are some great driving roads around mildenhall and lakenheath.

Welcome anyway

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

cati wrote:Fuck me Wayne being helpful. Are the meds kicking in

There are some great driving roads around mildenhall and lakenheath.

Welcome anyway

Feel free to join me. ;) Oh, the pain.

Return to “Import/Export”