Getting Ready for SVA/MOT

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Forum rules
Expat
Name: Tony
Year Of Mustang: 1971

Getting Ready for SVA/MOT

Postby Expat » Sun May 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Ok first up for the legal eagle types.
Since I am part of visiting NATO forces this vehicle will be a "concession" status. I understand how this relates to the different monetary check boxes (duty,VAT,Road Tax) for importing and registering my car. The question lies with an answer I got yesterday from the clerk filling out my pink sheet in preparations for the vehicles arrival. He stated that my "concession" vehicle does not need to have the SVA done, as that is part of what is being conceded. I do however have to do an MOT (at no cost of course) which will carry me all the way through to almost the time I will be leaving. (Manufacture date is 1/31/11 - have the Ford paperwork)

On to number 2.
I will not drill into any sheetmetal to mount the repeaters. I am thinking about leds either in the wing or in the housing. I not worried at all about installing these myself. I have been building cars for 20 years and doing electrical/electronic work for 15. I have and order on the way here from superbrightleds.com with different size bulbs, if you will. Hoping I can fashion up something with the 3mm leds. If that fails there are plan b (5mm surface mount) and plan c. Plan C being a 5mm square led with the resistors already in the wiring to stick-mount onto the PITA blind spot mirror abortion from ford.
I'm also toying with the idea of tying the factory rear side markers into a flasher module as well.

Number 3.
Rear fog light no issue there, an 8 led hermetically sealed bar up under the rear valence.
The questions I have about the rear; Will I have to diable my factory installed sequential turn signals? Or can they still operate the same way they do with two amber flashers inside the reverse light housing?
Back to the fog lights...If I wired the rear fog to the exisiting switch (which is illuminated when on) does that satisfy the requirement?

My fingers hurt now, I'll save the rest for another post.

T

Bearintown
Year Of Mustang: 1972

Re: Getting Ready for SVA/MOT

Postby Bearintown » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

On number 2, my last car had side indicators stuck under the front of the wheel arch at about "10 o'clock"
Naff in a way but was vitually unnoticable ,kept the hockey stick 427 striping unclutered, passed the MOT and there was no drilling/sticking on of equally naff side repeaters.

hertfordtyres
Name: Gill + Dave
Year Of Mustang: 1966

Postby hertfordtyres » Mon May 16, 2011 7:18 am

speak to cs07 om here, nick does a lot of led type wiring thats stand a lone from the car

LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Postby LV51FER » Mon May 16, 2011 7:26 am

Sequential indicators will not pass an MOT and have to be orange.
You will also need white sidelights on the front.
As a rough guide, this article about my Z06 was written in 2004.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/627465/20 ... tte/page-2

ozza
Name: Gareth
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby ozza » Mon May 16, 2011 7:59 am

Hey,

I'd suggest taking it to the place where you intend to get the MOT done and run through with them exactly what they will expect to see, then you know what you're gonne get pulled up on.

But you will need repeaters somewhere, none sequential lights and fog & reversing.

ozza

Postby ozza » Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 am

ozza wrote:Hey,

I'd suggest taking it to the place where you intend to get the MOT done and run through with them exactly what they will expect to see, then you know what you're gonne get pulled up on.

But you will need repeaters somewhere, none sequential lights and fog (only on when headlights on) & reversing.

Expat

Postby Expat » Tue May 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Thank you for the information.

As always, it seems the easiest and most obvious answer never occurs to someone who is feverishly searching for it. Thank you ozza.
I popped in to a few shops in the area and enquired about the inspection points that the tech would be paying particular attention to when the Shelby rolls into the service bay. The same areas all of you have pointed out were almost exactly the same. One of the shops in particular seemed to be a bit more "friendly" and as such will be receiving my business. This gentleman even recommended ringing Teslayn Engineering to discuss the possibilities for bringing the car into conformity and gave a few options for what would "pass" his inspection for the side indicators.
Teslayn claims to have "successfully developed a system for the 2010 up S197 Mustang which allows full functionality of the Federal specification sequential rear tail light turn signals."
For the side indicators, I am going to attempt to mount these either directly below the snake side emblems if the snakes utilize a mounting hole or directly above the rocker panel...see below. I am unsure of the minimum height that the indicator needs to be mounted at.

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 pm

It's all on my Corvette page above:
SVA requirements are as follows: within 2600mm of the front of the car, maximum height 1500mm, minimum 350mm with angle of visibility between 5 and 60 degrees inclusive when viewed from the REAR

Expat

Postby Expat » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Right. I just don't know how high the upper portion of the rocker is from the ground. The car is not here yet, so I cannot measure to see if it is above the 350mm minimum.

A lot of good info on your write-up.

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 pm

300mm is 12" so i would say it's too low. many put them in or under the mirror. Some even drill the badge to fit an LED. It would be cool if you could make the snake eyes light up....

ozza

Postby ozza » Wed May 25, 2011 7:24 am

Expat wrote:Thank you for the information.

As always, it seems the easiest and most obvious answer never occurs to someone who is feverishly searching for it. Thank you ozza.
I popped in to a few shops in the area and enquired about the inspection points that the tech would be paying particular attention to when the Shelby rolls into the service bay. The same areas all of you have pointed out were almost exactly the same. One of the shops in particular seemed to be a bit more "friendly" and as such will be receiving my business. This gentleman even recommended ringing Teslayn Engineering to discuss the possibilities for bringing the car into conformity and gave a few options for what would "pass" his inspection for the side indicators.
Teslayn claims to have "successfully developed a system for the 2010 up S197 Mustang which allows full functionality of the Federal specification sequential rear tail light turn signals."
For the side indicators, I am going to attempt to mount these either directly below the snake side emblems if the snakes utilize a mounting hole or directly above the rocker panel...see below. I am unsure of the minimum height that the indicator needs to be mounted at.

Teslayn have a good reputation mate.

Return to “Import/Export”