Importing vs buying in the UK

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Ian
Name: Ian
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Importing vs buying in the UK

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 pm

What are peoples oppinions on buying a car in the states to ship over here, against buying one already registered in the UK?

I know that the sva test modifications can be a concern if not done properly, So I guess one positive if you import a car yourself is that you can get this done at a reputable place and know it is done right.

Also, are prices like for like when you take into account all of the tax/shipping/convertion costs on an import. Or do you still save some cash if you are prepaired to sort all of the paperwork and take the car to its sva test yourself ?

LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Re: Importing vs buying in the UK

Postby LV51FER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 am

The ones registered here only paid 17.5% VAT and any incoming will be paying 20% which will drive the cost up. I imported a Z06 back in 2004 when the exchange rate was 1.7ish and 17.5% VAT was the order of the day and for a $35000 car, I ended up paying about £27k on the road by doing the SVA prep myself.

However, with the Mustang, that wouldn't be an option due to the electronics involved and the Corvette can be had with a simple plug in conversion kit for the rear lights.

Bearintown
Year Of Mustang: 1972

Postby Bearintown » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:38 pm

I looked at this recently and took advice. Basically if I had bought a $22k car in the states, it would have cost £22.5 k on the road here. Plus transport at either end 9which of course depended on locations.

Ian
Name: Ian
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 pm

probably 6 and 2 - 3's then? a $15k car in the US would work out about £15k over here. Id only be looking for an early v8 so one plus I can see in importing one is that there is a lot more choice. However it would be less effort buying one already here... Sometime I wish I would be happy with a corsa lol

hertfordtyres
Name: Gill + Dave
Year Of Mustang: 1966

Postby hertfordtyres » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 pm

its not as cheap as it used to be mate, back in 2006/7 it was sooo cheap to import a car, used to be a 25k $$ car cost
16k ££ inc sva /del / taxes etc

and dont forget iva/sva and the taxation which i believe has also changed

to get a rough idea on shipping a car in speak to ron fenton

to get a price for the sva etc speak to both surrey mustang and 07GT/CS on here both do the conversions and im sure can tell you the whole price and all the crap that now goes with it

and for 15k theres always cars coming up on here that are very good and as you say less stress

doublerkid
Name: Roger Raggett
Year Of Mustang: 2010

Postby doublerkid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:56 am

If I told you that I for one (and I know of a couple of other importers) have not imported a car into the UK for the past 12 months that may give you some idea if its worth it. Simply put the UK is host to a whole bunch of underpriced Mustangs which is why imports have all but stopped and most cars get sold to Europe, particularly Scandinavia. Its all to do with exchange rate, cost of the item in the USA and what it will sell for in the sellers country.Until the desperate sellers offload their cars and the market here stabilizes look no further than your own back yard. In my opinion by far the best buys are the new shape cars, irrespective of anyone opinion on the shape they offer a fantastic bang for the buck and well worth the extra over the earlier models.

Return to “Import/Export”