Posted back to UK - Conversion Query

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Forum rules
Arkady001
Name: Rob
Year Of Mustang: 1968
Location: Exmouth, Devon / Aldershot, Hants & Iserlohn, NRW, Germany

Posted back to UK - Conversion Query

Postby Arkady001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 pm

After feeling all smug and complacent because I live in Germany and have none of the conversion issues that seem to plague some of the members here, I now find that I'm being posted back to the UK in April for 12 months...

I have two options: register the car in Germany and continue paying extortionate German Insurance premiums, or register it in the UK and pay a whole lot less...
The car will be SORN for 6 months anyway while I deploy to Afghanistan later this year...

Question is - does my 'supposedly quite stringent' German/EU TuV-approved conversion cut any ice in the UK or will it need further modification?

Either way, I have to 'de-BFG' my car and take it off the British Military Car register in Germany...

LV51FER
Name: Wayne
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Re: Posted back to UK - Conversion Query

Postby LV51FER » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:59 pm

I would have thought not as you'd still have to fit side repeaters so the two tests are not the same. For the SVA, you need white sidelights, a rear fog light, side repeaters (which can be in the door mirrors), orange rear indicators. Emissions and brakes are not normally tested as they "recognise" the FMVSS sticker. Tyres have to be the correct speed rating.

Of course, it's now IVA not SVA and I seem to recall the fee is now much higher too. Was £150.

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:16 pm

That's what I was afraid of - even though I had to pay 1500€ for the conversion (including Euro-spec taillights) and TuV inspection here it looks like it'd cost me almost the same if I brought it back to the UK...
BFG are no help at all - they didn't even know we had to do conversions on US cars!

I think I'll register it here - it'll be staying garaged in Germany for the most part anyway. The insurance is about 900€ a year, which is a cast-iron bitch with the current exchange rate - I'm 500€ a month worse off than this time last year...keeping it SORN in the Winter months will help matters...

My Cougar's insurance is almost the same - compared to £180p.a. in the UK!

However...
*edit* just found this on the DVLA site:

As part of the registration process DVLA must be sure that an imported used vehicle that’s less than 10 years old meets European type approval standards, UK construction and use, and road vehicle lighting legislation.

Cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles, first registered in another European Member State, must have a certificate issued by VCA under the Mutual Recognition scheme. Larger goods vehicles will need full UK type approval before they can be registered.

Cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles first registered in a country outside of the European Union must pass the SVA test.

My car was first registered here in Germany...so...

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Still has to have side repeaters to comply though so ????

Devine
Name: Paul
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby Devine » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

i read that as you still need to do the same as eveyone else...

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Not according to 'them what I just done speaken to'... at DVLA...

If it has a German Homogolation Certificate, then it passes SVA / IVA certification automatically - that's the 'Mutual Recognition Scheme' bit - my paperwork takes the place of the VCA certification...since it passes Type Approval legislation in Germany (part of the EU) and has been pre-registered here then, the paperwork I have qualifies for the UK also...

LV51FER

Postby LV51FER » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Arkady001 wrote:Not according to 'them what I just done speaken to'... at DVLA...

If it has a German Homogolation Certificate, then it passes SVA / IVA certification automatically - that's the 'Mutual Recognition Scheme' bit - my paperwork takes the place of the VCA certification...since it passes Type Approval legislation in Germany (part of the EU) and has been pre-registered here then, the paperwork I have qualifies for the UK also...

Then we have a loophole to avoid fitting side repeaters do we not? :cow

Devine

Postby Devine » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Until it needs them by law, and your insurance is void becasue you didnt have them... and all that jazz...

Dodgy ground i'd say, your walking a very tight line on this one. Nice if its true but hard to say either way... :)

It could still be selected for the IVA/SVA test anyway when registered. Which it would fail the UK lighting regulation bit. Not to mention it would fail an MOT aswell.

hmmm...

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I get all that, but the caveat is that it has passed an EU inspection...in Germany... which the DVLA tells me is valid in lieu of SVA/ISA Type Approval... since they're the arbiters of what is and isn't legal, I think that their advice is good enough...

Where does it say that I need them by Law? - All new cars sold in the UK must have them, but this wasn't sold in the UK...it was purchased from the USA in Germany. If the German (and Dutch too, I checked - the Dutch Army guys are also allowed to buy US cars through AAFES, even though they're only over here on exercise...) TuV Type-Approval is valid in the UK, then the MOT inspector has no grounds to fail the car...

Devine

Postby Devine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:36 am

Arkady001 wrote:I get all that, but the caveat is that it has passed an EU inspection...in Germany... which the DVLA tells me is valid in lieu of SVA/ISA Type Approval... since they're the arbiters of what is and isn't legal, I think that their advice is good enough...

Where does it say that I need them by Law? - All new cars sold in the UK must have them, but this wasn't sold in the UK...it was purchased from the USA in Germany. If the German (and Dutch too, I checked - the Dutch Army guys are also allowed to buy US cars through AAFES, even though they're only over here on exercise...) TuV Type-Approval is valid in the UK, then the MOT inspector has no grounds to fail the car...

totaly agree however....

lighting regulations can be inforced by the local plod.... They can make you take an MOT test station to check vehicle meets regulations and hence it will fail when checked. Same as it wont pass an MOT.

MOT/DVLA/SVA and the local plod all inforce there own rules... thats my point, DVLA can tell you anything but in reality its the local plod and MOT station that say if its legal, and they dont even agree....

its a bloody mine field.... Dont take the DVLA advice alone it aint always correct...

if you can get away with it then happy days :)

Devine

Postby Devine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 am

I forgot to add, the DVLA are only interested in the registration and taxation class...

if its registerd inside the EU you might need proof of CO2 levels etc and get stung on that... that might be a bigger ouch than side repeaters !!!!

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 am

Germans are very hot on the emission-controls - I have to display a little green sticker denoting which band the car falls into...

I think the 'safe' option will be what I've decided: to register the car here in Germany...that way I can visit occasionally and not worry about all this...

Devine

Postby Devine » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Arkady001 wrote:Germans are very hot on the emission-controls - I have to display a little green sticker denoting which band the car falls into...

I think the 'safe' option will be what I've decided: to register the car here in Germany...that way I can visit occasionally and not worry about all this...

lol chicken

sounds like a good option mind :)

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 pm

Well the guy who does the TuV appraisal on all my mods has a GT500, so it's all good really... :D

Arkady001

Postby Arkady001 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:57 pm

*bump/edit*

after encountering an overwhelming sea of Euro-Bureaucracy in my attempt to get the car registered here in Germany, I've come to the conclusion that it'll be easier to register in the UK first, then re-register in Germany next year - once it's been on the civil register in one European country it's easy-peasy to do so in another Euro country...

Spoken to three guys here who have sent their Mustangs back to the UK and they had no dramas with DVLA as regards the SVA test - the German one we get after the conversion here is valid in the UK, even though there are no side repeaters...no MOT is required as the car is new (under 12 months) and tested by the TuV people here as well...BFG issue all the relevant documentation to register the car 'as new' - even though my car's first registration was April 2008, the first registration that is recognised by DVLA is the first BFG (UK Armed Forces in Germany) registration - in my case September 2008...which is nice...

Maybe in 24 months at the first MOT test, things will be different, but I don't plan on leaving it in the UK for that long...

Return to “Import/Export”