How strict is SVA

Buying from abroad or selling to another country.
Forum rules
cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

How strict is SVA

Postby cati » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I am going to import my car from the US later this year. So far I have an FRPP handling pack, 20 inch rims and FRPP axle backs. Will this give me problems at SVA time?

I have been told that as long as they are ford fit you should be okay? So changing the wheels is no problem, but for the rest do I need to swap out my upgrades or chance it. These are all standard fit on a shelby GT so is this a real concern

all experiences welcome

ozza
Name: Gareth
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Re: How strict is SVA

Postby ozza » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 pm

I have no experience but nothing on your list would cause me SVA concern.

Twin Turbo
Site Admin
Name: Paul - Admin
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Postby Twin Turbo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 pm

I know bugger all about the SVA but, if anything, I guess the exhaust may cause concern? I know it shouldn't effect emissions, but............ :?

Someone more cleverer than wot I is will be along in a mo. :D

LV51FER
Name: Wayne

Postby LV51FER » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 pm

None of those should cause you any concern bar tyres not being stock. If the car is new and not obviously modified, the chances are they will look at the FMVSS sticker and nod it through. The only issue my mate had with a 12000 mile Z06 was checking the tyre speed ratings for which he had to produce the handbook showing stock tyre fitting and rating. In other words, just fit a W or Z rated tyre and it won't be a problem (some Yank cars have speed limited applications). Incidentally when I submitted my Z06 for SVA, you have to fill in the top speed. I put 176mph and they laughed and said everyone usually puts 100! Most SVA Centres won't know what is stock and what isn't.

the exhaust would only cause them to flinch if it was majorly noisy. For example having Loudmouths with no mufflers would undoubtedly cause them to consider failing it on noise but their main concern will be that it still sports the original cats and since the Mustang mufflers are axle-backs, they have very little effect.

Ultimately, if you just say it's stock or a factory fit option, they can't really say it's not.

SurreyMustang.Com
Name: GB
Year Of Mustang: 1965

Postby SurreyMustang.Com » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 am

LV51FER wrote:None of those should cause you any concern bar tyres not being stock. If the car is new and not obviously modified, the chances are they will look at the FMVSS sticker and nod it through. The only issue my mate had with a 12000 mile Z06 was checking the tyre speed ratings for which he had to produce the handbook showing stock tyre fitting and rating. In other words, just fit a W or Z rated tyre and it won't be a problem (some Yank cars have speed limited applications). Incidentally when I submitted my Z06 for SVA, you have to fill in the top speed. I put 176mph and they laughed and said everyone usually puts 100! Most SVA Centres won't know what is stock and what isn't.

the exhaust would only cause them to flinch if it was majorly noisy. For example having Loudmouths with no mufflers would undoubtedly cause them to consider failing it on noise but their main concern will be that it still sports the original cats and since the Mustang mufflers are axle-backs, they have very little effect.

Ultimately, if you just say it's stock or a factory fit option, they can't really say it's not.

Sorry, but I think that is a very naive view of the SVA test.
I have never had a tester 'nod it through' on any item. They are (in my experience) very thorough, and because most of them see a fair few S197's they will know if the car has been modified or not.
A couple of months ago I took a car down that had slightly different profile tyres on (50's as opposed to 55's). This car came with them fitted as standard from the Ford dealer, and to be honest I didn't even realise.
BUT
The door sticker stated 55 series tyres, so the tester went away, phoned 'head office' calculated the difference in speedo readings, subjected the car to a speedometer check, and only then (at least two hours later) ticked that particular box.

'if you just say it's stock or a factory fit option, they can't really say it's not'. Unless you can take documentation to prove that the modification was an option on THAT PARTICULAR CAR then they can say whatever they like.

Having spent a great deal of my time in SVA centres, I would never take a modified car down if I could help it.
Take a couple of hours and refit the original rear pipes and wheels. It may save you literally days in lost time going to and from the SVA centre.

LV51FER
Name: Wayne

Postby LV51FER » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

I can only comment from my own experience where the FMVSS sticker was pointed out to me and I was told it negated a whole batch of tests. I'm sure that he may well have noted that the wheels and tyres were stock before saying that.

The FRPP suspension and exhaust are standard on the Bullitt and Shelby GT so it would be interesting to see how they would challenge those especially as they ae not specifically related to the SVA test itself as emissions are unaffected.

The tyres is another issue and I've already indicated that they are likely to query those.

Return to “Import/Export”