Questions, questions, questions....

Some say he can fix a Mustang using just a banana..
cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Re: Questions, questions, questions....

Postby cati » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Manders Mustang wrote:
cati wrote:
Manders Mustang wrote:Mods to an S550 2.3L?

I was thinking tuning it, maybe a new exhaust, but i've not really cemented anything yet.

Idea's for the most power gains/mpg etc - it's going to be my daily afterall.

try looking at some of the tunes avaialbe in the US - some crazy figures with built bottom ends - fancy 900 bhp ?

I've seen some of the tunes int he US, they're obscene right now, i don't think going from my current car (1.2L corsa) to a 900bhp beast is very sensible ;).

By a mustang is not sensible why stop there you only live once

scottythesparky
Name: Scot Semple
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby scottythesparky » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:21 pm

GT101 wrote:
scottythesparky wrote:Alright bud here's one for ya..cooling for my 6 speed on the new setup..summit do a cooling fan,but didn't know if you had a few ideas? I'm looking at doing an event next year called the airport run which means driving flat out down the runway racing some hot cars at the same time abit like the Texas mile..cheers in advance bud :)

On the subject of transmission cooling - I was impressed at the size of this add-on that Ford Racing were showing at SEMA for the 2015 Mustang. A simple but presumably effective air scoop mounted under the car. Part number is M-5025-M8

Cheers guys thanks for the input!! :)

Cookie
Name: Matt
Year Of Mustang: 2013

Postby Cookie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:07 pm

GT101 wrote:On the subject of transmission cooling - I was impressed at the size of this add-on that Ford Racing were showing at SEMA for the 2015 Mustang. A simple but presumably effective air scoop mounted under the car. Part number is M-5025-M8

^^^ Love the Boss 302 style side-exist exhaust kit on this S550 too ^^^

Ford built a similar transmission cooler scoop for the 2013/13 Boss 302/302S/302R racing cars that is supposed to be pretty effective. It deflects the air (albeit lower pressure versus from the front bumper, grille or cowl area) that's passing under the car, upwards and onto the transmission case.

Here's the 12/13 Boss 302 part...
https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12495

...and the 2015+ part as mentioned by GT101...
https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=25187

scottythesparky wrote:Alright bud here's one for ya..cooling for my 6 speed on the new setup..summit do a cooling fan,but didn't know if you had a few ideas? I'm looking at doing an event next year called the airport run which means driving flat out down the runway racing some hot cars at the same time abit like the Texas mile..cheers in advance bud :)

What's the event format? Is it effectively a long single (or a couple of) high-speed runs with cool-down periods in-between? Or is this event a longer session as part of a circuit with a long high-speed straight (think the Mulsanne at LeMans)...?

I'm wondering if your trans will really get hot enough to need additional cooling? Have you run these events before and measured the transmission fluid temperatures? If it's getting that hot, have you considered diff cooling and I presume you've already got an engine oil cooler in place?

scottythesparky
Name: Scot Semple

Postby scottythesparky » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the info bud..not done this one before was trying for this year but i didn't have the transplant done in time,basically it's flat out runs in a straight line buts it's over a mile and your up against some very quick cars,that's just one event as I want to do a lot of drag racing and track events next year and will be putting the drivetrain through a lot..I know from when I had the 4.6 and 5 speed I had a lot of heat up the gearshift and thought it was coming from the exhaust..but the tranny was bloodly hot..I'm just thinking if the box runs cooler then it's something less to worry about..thanks again :)

Spanner Monkey
Name: Billy Belfont

Postby Spanner Monkey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:09 pm

You could always put an external pump and oil cooler on the trans.
There is already a drain and fill plug so you wouldn't have to drill & tap anything to do it.
A small oil cooler and one of the Facet cylindrical pumps will not only cool, but add extra oil capacity and filter the oil so that you can check for debris. You'd need to run minimum -6AN hose, but you could then put the cooler in the best possible place.
A few hundred dollars is a cheap price to pay to protect your trans.

Return to “Spanner Monkey”