Questions, questions, questions....

Some say he can fix a Mustang using just a banana..
Forum rules
Spanner Monkey
Name: Billy Belfont
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Questions, questions, questions....

Postby Spanner Monkey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:07 pm

It’s been a while since my last post, and there is a very technical article I have written that was to be posted, but after reviewing it I decided that the percentage of Mustang owners that would be even vaguely interested would be minimal so I’ve shelved it until that particular question is asked.

On the subject of asking questions, why not give it a shot? If you have any mechanical/electrical/bodywork questions regarding Mustangs (or cars in general) post it here and I’ll do my best to answer it.

And in the meantime if I think about anything that’s really relevant I’ll write a story!

cati
Name: Cati
Year Of Mustang: 2015

Re: Questions, questions, questions....

Postby cati » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Mr Monkey.....

a question many of us will ask you in the near future is what mods would you make to an s550?

The brief is to improve handling and add some speed.

Cheers

Cati - long suffering and waiting s550 owner to be

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby Manders Mustang » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:04 pm

cati wrote:Mr Monkey.....

a question many of us will ask you in the near future is what mods would you make to an s550?

Cheers

I'd also love to know the answer to these, wouldn't have written it better myself Cati ;) :rock

scottythesparky
Name: Scot Semple

Postby scottythesparky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Alright bud here's one for ya..cooling for my 6 speed on the new setup..summit do a cooling fan,but didn't know if you had a few ideas? I'm looking at doing an event next year called the airport run which means driving flat out down the runway racing some hot cars at the same time abit like the Texas mile..cheers in advance bud :)

waylander
Name: patrick
Year Of Mustang: 2005

Postby waylander » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Or going all S197ish... no FI what can be done to give your 4.6l (or indeed 5l, 4l or 3.7l) a bit more 'pep'.... would you really notice an extra 30bhp in the bent 8s?

Spanner Monkey

Postby Spanner Monkey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:23 am

cati wrote:Mr Monkey.....

Cheers

Somewhere near here there are lengthy tomes that I penned concerning performance and handling, and the comments there apply just as readily to the S550 as they do to earlier Mustangs:
Increase in power - don't muck about, put a supercharger on it. Figures on a basic supercharged motor come out around the 675bhp/550lb-ft mark which should be just about adequate.
Handling-wise the clever money is now on adjustable coil-over suspension, but my previous comments regarding stiffening the bushes still applies.
Good luck with your car Mr Cati!

scottythesparky wrote:Alright bud here's one for ya..cooling for my 6 speed on the new setup..summit do a cooling fan,but didn't know if you had a few ideas? I'm looking at doing an event next year called the airport run which means driving flat out down the runway racing some hot cars at the same time abit like the Texas mile..cheers in advance bud :)

I think the trick to better cooling is allowing the hot air to escape. Flat-out runs should cause enough low-pressure air in the right places to assist the cooling nicely, try lifting the rear of your bonnet a couple of inches - you'll be surprised at how much extra cooling that will give you. Good luck Mr Sparky

waylander wrote:Or going all S197ish... no FI what can be done to give your 4.6l (or indeed 5l, 4l or 3.7l) a bit more 'pep'.... would you really notice an extra 30bhp in the bent 8s?

30 bhp in the 4.6 is 10% power increase, and yes you'd definitely notice that.
Adding a CAI will typically give you 10-15bhp and that is noticeable.
As far as the 3.7 or 4l engines, the only sensible way to increase the power is to fit a V8. Everybody knows that! :)

GT101
Name: David Jones

Postby GT101 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 am

scottythesparky wrote:Alright bud here's one for ya..cooling for my 6 speed on the new setup..summit do a cooling fan,but didn't know if you had a few ideas? I'm looking at doing an event next year called the airport run which means driving flat out down the runway racing some hot cars at the same time abit like the Texas mile..cheers in advance bud :)

On the subject of transmission cooling - I was impressed at the size of this add-on that Ford Racing were showing at SEMA for the 2015 Mustang. A simple but presumably effective air scoop mounted under the car. Part number is M-5025-M8

RoushDriver
Name: Tom
Year Of Mustang: 2011

Postby RoushDriver » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:37 pm

What would be the best way to extract more power from a Raptor without going FI Mr Monkey?

More specifically its only a 16 valve. Is there a replacement head/s that are 3/4 valve per cylinder that could be fitted or would it be easier to just fit improved cams or is there another route entirely?

Spanner Monkey

Postby Spanner Monkey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:11 pm

GT101 wrote:

On the subject of transmission cooling - I was impressed at the size of this add-on that Ford Racing were showing at SEMA for the 2015 Mustang. A simple but presumably effective air scoop mounted under the car. Part number is M-5025-M8

I may have misunderstood the question. I assumed it was regarding engine cooling, not transmission cooling...

BUT

Looking at this photo I think it would work better if it was fitted the other way around behind the transmission. It's trying to scoop air from a low pressure area into another low pressure area and I suspect the flow would be minimal. It would be very interesting to see what temperature drop (if any) it achieves.

Spanner Monkey

Postby Spanner Monkey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:30 pm

RoushDriver wrote:What would be the best way to extract more power from a Raptor without going FI Mr Monkey?

More specifically its only a 16 valve. Is there a replacement head/s that are 3/4 valve per cylinder that could be fitted or would it be easier to just fit improved cams or is there another route entirely?

I assume you're talking about the 4.6 2-valve? If so, there are a plethora of tuning options on the market as it's (basically) the same engine as fitted to the SN95.
Firstly you'd need to establish what cylinder heads it uses. I assume they are the PI heads, but as it's a 'truck', Ford may have just slotted on the earlier smog heads. You'd need the PI heads.
CAI or free-flowing air intake is essential if you expect the other components to make power.
Cams are probably the next thing to consider. A set of decent cams will net you a reasonable amount of BHP.
It would be good to dyno the engine after every step you make, not to check for outright power but as a before/after comparison.
You could swap out the engine for a later 4.6 3-valve, but that would only gain you around 50bhp so a lot of expense and effort for relatively small gain.

OR

Supercharge it. Big gain for relatively small money and without the necessity to change mechanical parts. You know it makes sense!

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Mods to an S550 2.3L?

I was thinking tuning it, maybe a new exhaust, but i've not really cemented anything yet.

Idea's for the most power gains/mpg etc - it's going to be my daily afterall.

cati

Postby cati » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:14 pm

cough cough - raptor has a 6.2 litre engine but still 2 valve

cati

Postby cati » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Manders Mustang wrote:Mods to an S550 2.3L?

I was thinking tuning it, maybe a new exhaust, but i've not really cemented anything yet.

try looking at some of the tunes avaialbe in the US - some crazy figures with built bottom ends - fancy 900 bhp ?

Manders Mustang

Postby Manders Mustang » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:18 pm

cati wrote:
Manders Mustang wrote:Mods to an S550 2.3L?

try looking at some of the tunes avaialbe in the US - some crazy figures with built bottom ends - fancy 900 bhp ?

I've seen some of the tunes int he US, they're obscene right now, i don't think going from my current car (1.2L corsa) to a 900bhp beast is very sensible ;).

Spanner Monkey

Postby Spanner Monkey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 pm

cati wrote:cough cough - raptor has a 6.2 litre engine but still 2 valve

My bad. Yep Cati, 5.4 and 6.2.
Supercharge it!

Return to “Spanner Monkey”