Need advice

Some say he can fix a Mustang using just a banana..
Forum rules
IndianStang
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Need advice

Postby IndianStang » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 am

Hey Mr. Spanner Monkey..
I recently sourced an airaid CAI dry filter and a Ford performance strut Brace kit for my '16 GT right hand drive in India from CJ pony parts, now I fitted the cai and have noticed a few things which have been making me uncomfortable, 1. The plexiglass lid on the cai box does not form a seal, Indian conditions are typically hot and dusty, after driving the car I have noticed the lid balloons upwards, incase I am driving in the rain I fear water may get ingested this way..., if I install the plexiglass lid below the steel cutout it gets ducked inwards toward the filter, what should I do? 2. After installation I've notice the exhaust sounds louder and lots of pops and crackles have come up... is this normal?

Strut brace question : the brace kit I ordered arrived with damage to the packaging, so I did not get the hardware or the fittiNg instructions, this is the Ford performance strut Brace kit for rhd vehicles, part number M 20201MARHD, when I downloaded the fitting instructions from the Ford performance site it shows that a spacer is required to be placed before fitting the brace, what happens if I fit I without the spacer?

Thanksgiving

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Re: Need advice

Postby badhand » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

Spanner Monkey is probably sleeping. He exists in a different time zone, but would probably say not to worry about rain unless you're wading through deep standing water. Have you bought a tuner/tune for your country/fuel?

Is the Airraid kit that shabby?

Re spacer. Get CJ to send you the replacement items if the packaging was damaged! Their fault for not packing properly. Couple of guys here have fitted them so they'll be better placed to comment whether it needs it, but I'd assume it's to help clear the plenum cover...

Christmas :D

IndianStang

Postby IndianStang » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks for the reply Badhand..

I was also disappointed to see the quality of the airaid product, to top it off if u see the installation video by CJ they install the plexiglass below the steel cutout, in the instructions provided with the kit it says to install above the cutout, either way the fitting is not sealed, I'm thinking of using a silicon seal... and no I didn't get a tune as they advertise the product as not needing a tune...
I have mailed CJ and am awaiting a response from them, meanwhile I hope some of the folks that have fitted this let me know if there is an alternative way...

Thanks... btw Christmas... took me some time to figure out that one :lol: darn autospell thingy.. :D

badhand
Site Admin
Name: Nick
Year Of Mustang: 1969

Postby badhand » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Be great to see pics of the 'Stang in India btw! :D

IndianStang

Postby IndianStang » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:11 pm

So.. Spoke with CJ.. The best they can do is try to claim damagnd send out a replacement... will have to wait n see how that goes goes..

Spanner Monkey
Name: Billy Belfont
Year Of Mustang: 1967

Postby Spanner Monkey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Sorry, I'm awake now!

Ref the CAI - I wouldn't worry unduly about water ingress from rain. If you think about it most air cleaners will see rain/moist air for at least part of the time, and the whole purpose of a CAI is to get more ambient air in. The pops and crackles are moderately concerning though - it sounds like the engine is now running weak. Have you had the ECU flashed for the CAI kit?

The strut brace can be fitted without the spacers, providing the brace clears the engine and allows for engine movement.

IndianStang

Postby IndianStang » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 am

Thank you Spanner Monkey!,
I will check if the brace fits as mentioned by you, the pops and crackles from the exhaust (borla atak) are intermittent, last few drives I haven't heard them, I haven't flashed the ecu as we don't have the kind of equipment readily available in India, also the engines are mildly detuned to cope with the fuel quality, (88 Ron or lower) so I don't know how it would work on my car.

Return to “Spanner Monkey”