S550 LED DRL's & Indicator DRL's with Switchback , what do you reckon ?

jwracing

S550 LED DRL's & Indicator DRL's with Switchback , what do you reckon ?

Postby jwracing » Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm

So , whats your opinion peeps?

Been playing with all the front lights today and come up with this , let me know what you think

So first of all , we replaced the fog lamp bulbs with LEDs , wont bore you with pics cos they've been seen many times before

Then we started looking at the LEDs for DRL in the fog lamps , sidelights and indicators amd eventually came up with the following:

LED sidelights on the right compared to standard on the left

Once the car starts the DRLs take over , we wanted to add a little to ours other than just going for brighter white (which just looks loads better on its own anyway) so we also fitted a dual purpose bulb in the indicator. Start the car up the sides go out and now we have 2 DRL's , 1 in the fog and 1 in the indicator. Its worth noting we can wire this up to lose the lower fogs if people prefer that but unless you change to the US fog lamps you are going to be left with a gaping hole where the bulb once sat!

For the last bit you really need to see the video , not sure how to post a video on here that's not on YouTube so heres the URL

https://www.facebook.com/JWRacing.co.uk/videos/1643242615707849/

You can see the full functions here , sidelight LED as you get in the car , upper and lower DRLs as you start the car , then when you apply turn signal the DRLs extinguish and the LED indicator takes over. On cancellation of the turn signal the DRLs sequence back on , lower one first then upper

Once you turn on the headlights the DRLs extinguish as normal and the turn signal also function as normal , just brighter

We love the new look and subject to getting some stock in will be happy to convert anyone else's GT or Ecoboost to the same setup

It requires some modifications to the existing setup and additional wiring looms so for the moment it will be a workshop only setup but in due course we hope to be able to offer a DIY kit

cheers

Jason :D

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Re: S550 LED DRL's & Indicator DRL's with Switchback , what do you reckon ?

Postby Manders Mustang » Thu May 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Just seen these (A week late).

Proled sell a set for £30 odd quid, which is pretty much plug and play, and that turns the stock sidelight AND indicator to White when sidelight is on, and when the indicator is on, stock is still on, but indicator flashes (so kinda the same as this, but keeps the stock sidelight too)

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am

Manders Mustang wrote:Just seen these (A week late).

Proled sell a set for £30 odd quid, which is pretty much plug and play, and that turns the stock sidelight AND indicator to White when sidelight is on, and when the indicator is on, stock is still on, but indicator flashes (so kinda the same as this, but keeps the stock sidelight too)

I assume its a kit then with at least 4 bulbs in ? or has a loom to connect it to the permanent power in the sidelight?

the sidelight and the indicator are separate as standard (obviously) so you would have to change the sidelamp to LED as we have done to get bit to be as bright as the switchback indicator

the indicator bulb is plug and play, it will switch colours without affecting the sidelamp when you have the turn signal on. So when turn signal off you have virtually one long strip of white (as long as you update the sidelamp too) and when turn signal is on only the sidelamp stays white , the turn signal flashes orange an much brighter than OE

what you may still suffer though is hyperblinking where the display in the car flashes faster than the lights outside , if you do you will need to add a resistor to each lamp to stop this so some wiring is still potentially required and needs to be done properly to avoid overheating the loom etc

what we have done is quite different to what you refer to , we have added LED DRLs to the package , they are much brighter than the ProLED version fro what my customers are telling me and we have made a loom so that that when you apply turn signal , the DRLs extinguish on the side you are turning and then re light when the turn signal is cancelled. So when running the DRLs in the fog and the indicator all stay bright white , then change when turn signal on and then come back again when off

we kinda liked that look but it does need some loom making etc

cheers

Manders Mustang
Name: Steve
Year Of Mustang: 2016

Postby Manders Mustang » Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am

jwracing wrote:
Manders Mustang wrote:Just seen these (A week late).

I assume its a kit then with at least 4 bulbs in ?

the sidelight and the indicator are separate as standard (obviously) so you would have to change the sidelamp to LED as we have done to get bit to be as bright as the switchback indicator

the indicator bulb is plug and play, it will switch colours without affecting the sidelamp when you have the turn signal on. So when turn signal off you have virtually one long strip of white (as long as you update the sidelamp too) and when turn signal is on only the sidelamp stays white , the turn signal flashes orange an much brighter than OE

what you may still suffer though is hyperblinking where the display in the car flashes faster than the lights outside , if you do you will need to add a resistor to each lamp to stop this so some wiring is still potentially required and needs to be done properly to avoid overheating the loom etc

what we have done is quite different to what you refer to , we have added LED DRLs to the package , they are much brighter than the ProLED version fro what my customers are telling me and we have made a loom so that that when you apply turn signal , the DRLs extinguish on the side you are turning and then re light when the turn signal is cancelled. So when running the DRLs in the fog and the indicator all stay bright white , then change when turn signal on and then come back again when off

we kinda liked that look but it does need some loom making etc

cheers

The kit is 2 bulbs, you'd need to buy an LED for the Sidelight separately.

What it does is it splices into the sidelight to draw constant power, runs a nice orange block of resistors and such and then when you indicate.

Happy to meet up and show you my kit vs your guys one if you like, it's a fairly cheap one, no hyperblinking, and a simple solution. Proled is 6000k so don't think there's anything "brighter" or "Purer" for it.

The extinguishing of the DRL is standard on the car, same happens with mine when I indicate, it's some stupid new features cars apparently have to have haha! As for the DRLs, pro LED also offer these for I think £40. Plug and play like the switchback indicators.

jwracing

Postby jwracing » Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 pm

in terms of the brightness I was only referring to a customer comment and purely the DRL in the fog , customer bought ProLed lamps and said ours were brighter , cant comment on the indicators or sidelamps

the proled ones weren't entirely plug an play either he said , a small modification was required , similar to our bulbs for the DRLs just so they are perfect fit

you have a link of the Proled indicator setup so I can compare , it basically sounds the same as what we have done

gotta be careful with the wording cos your original mail suggested for £30 it all worked and was a couple of bulbs but later you say you need to buy extra bulbs for the sidelamps and it comes with resistors etc

id like to do like for like comparison :D

I'm sure their option will be cheaper but I do like the quality of the DD bulbs we use so will likely build all our kits round their product

cheers

Jason

Return to “UK”